Thursday, August 29, 2013

Sweet Tooth

It’s been a big time around here for teeth.  First, Finley cut his first two.
You can see them HERE.

Around that same time, I started noticing a bit of tooth sensitivity, mainly on the left side.  It wasn’t painful, but randomly sensitive when I ate something sweet and I couldn’t even tell you if it was coming from the top or bottom teeth.

I ignored it for a while and then we left on vacation and it wasn’t a huge concern until it started happening more frequently.  I figured it was a cavity and that I needed to call the dentist when we returned.  In the meantime, I started to get into a bit of a panic because I just don’t like going to the dentist.  The smell and sounds of a dental office makes me edgy.  I think it stems from an unfortunate orthodontia incident in the early 90’s.    
 
By the time I had made the appointment with Hans Henrick (that’s his first name – he’s Danish), I’d had in depth text message exchanges with my sister who relayed my symptoms and questions to her dental hygienist friend, emailed another friend to confirm that they use anesthesia in Europe and had convinced myself that I needed a root canal and a crown or possibly a tooth extraction.  It only takes a few clicks on Google Images for this crazy train to leave the station.

This morning I went to my appointment with Hans Henrick, who comes highly recommended in the Luxembourg expat community, by the way.

I have a friend who also went to him and on the way out said to the receptionist, “Well, he was just lovely.” 
Then she leaned in close and filled her in on a secret.
“All the moms at my daughter’s school talk about him.” 

“I’m glad everyone likes him,” the receptionist said. “He’s my husband.”

Anyway, Hans Henrick is lovely and did a thorough exam, x-rays and announced that I do not, in fact, have any cavities and my current fillings are in good shape.  He finished up with a cleaning and a polish, and you know that gritty toothpaste that they use to professionally clean teeth?  Well, it sort of tasted like…gravy…turkey gravy.  And when he said the word tarter, he pronounced it “tar-tar.”  It was precious and I just never have the heart to correct those types of things.
Hans Henrick’s conclusion: pregnancy and breast feeding have caused my teeth to become sensitive.   He gave me a sample of toothpaste for sensitive teeth, the name of a rinse to pick up at the pharmacy and sent me on my way.

And now, on to the REALLY exciting news.
Hannah lost her first tooth!
It happened while we were in Corsica, but the tooth fairy found us nonetheless.

”Does the tooth fairy only collect American teeth?” she asked us.

In French speaking countries, there’s not a tooth fairy, but la petit souris, a little mouse that comes to take a child’s tooth when it falls out.  We decided to ignore the mouse and stick with the fairy, since we had brought a tooth fairy pillow with us in anticipation.  Sometimes it’s just best to go with what you know.

DSC_0305a

The next morning, Hannah was pleased to find the tooth was gone and had been replaced with one shiny Euro.  

IMG_2936

He got his first tooth.
She lost hers.
I love these smiles.

1 comment:

  1. When you see signs like tooth sensitivity, you should visit your dentist to know the condition of your teeth. Ignoring it will only lead to serious problems like tooth decay or gum problems. Anyway, you should make it a habit to visit your dentist regularly, especially now that your Hannah is in the stage of developing her set of teeth.

    -Jerri Franceschi @ South Bridge Dentistry

    ReplyDelete