Tuesday, August 13, 2013

RV Life: Zurich, Switzerland

On y va!
That’s French for HERE WE GO!

IMG_2844

After weeks of planning and hours of packing and organizing, we were finally on our way. 
This kind of trip takes a lot of preparations, but more on that later.
The kids were so excited to get on the road.

IMG_2845

Our plan was to drive to Zurich, Switzerland, which is about 5 hours from Luxembourg.  We traveled South through Luxembourg, across the Alsace region of France and then on to Switzerland.  It took us about 7 hours total because we had to stop to feed Finley, stop for the rest of us to eat lunch and then a stop at the Swiss border to get a special registration that is required of all vehicles.

Shawn is truly giddy about driving us around in an RV and he’s really good at maneuvering, reversing and pulling into narrow spaces. 

Hannah: Is Mommy going to drive the RV?
Me: Probably not. 
Hannah: Yea, you might break it and then we’d have to sleep in a broken RV.
(She’s right.)

IMG_2846

Paying tolls at automated machines is a bit tricky.
We’re bigger than a car, but smaller than a semi truck.

When we arrived, Shawn set up the RV and I took the kids on a walk to the lake.
I think I’ve said it before, but I think Switzerland is one of my favorite places in Europe.  It’s clean, safe and the people are just so friendly.  And also – one of my favorite people that I’ve become friends with in Luxembourg is Swiss.

IMG_2850

At the marina on Lake Zurich

The next morning we ate breakfast and headed into the city.
We took a bus and then a train way up in the Uetliberg mountain, which is 2850 feet above sea level.
Then we hiked about thirty minutes to the most beautiful view.

DSC_0167

DSC_0176

DSC_0211

DSC_0210

DSC_0178

DSC_0196

Finley thinks his dad is terribly funny.

DSC_0204

DSC_0203

Ok, that’s it from Switzerland.
We’ll be passing through again on our way home.
Next stop…Northern Italy.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, how fun! You make being an expat sound like fun although I know that there is a lot of not fun stuff that happens.

    TWO TEETH! I see two teeth on Finley! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So with "one of my favorite people that I’ve become friends" you either mean me or Esther ;-), hahaha...love all the Switzerland pictures! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To drive around your favorite places in Europe – I know a lot of people who have that in their life’s bucket list, and you’re practically living that dream, thanks to your RV. I think seeing your travel adventures might inspire your readers to visit those places themselves someday, though not necessarily in an RV. Anyway, keep your posts coming! Cheers!

    Cristina Hamilton @ Mount Comfort RV

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a remarkable place! And to think that Zurich is just one of your stopovers in Europe? Now that’s living an adventurous life on the road. I bet many people envy you for the places you’ve been through. The perks of having an RV, eh? Cheers!

    Liza Pilon @ Prairie City RV Center

    ReplyDelete