Wednesday, August 21, 2013

RV Life: Corsica and Also a European Version of The S’more.

Did you know that the island of Corsica has the highest number of murders per capita than anywhere in Europe?

I came across this bit of information while reading up on the island before our trip.
Upon further research, I found that it’s mostly mafia-related so we have nothing to worry about, right?
I mean, is the mafia really going to be concerned with some Americans driving around in an RV with German license plates?

After spending the night on the ferry, we docked in the morning and just like the embarkation, it was the most unorganized and chaotic thing ever.  Once we were off the boat, we regrouped and headed for Porta, which is on the other side of the island.  But we didn’t mind because this was our view from the road.

IMG_2885

Once we got settled in at the campground we decided to go to the beach.  I wish I had a picture of the big, red umbrella, and more importantly, Shawn setting it up.  As he was putting the stake in the ground, an older man said to me, “Trop de vent. Trop de vent.”
To my American ears, the French words for “windy” and “wine” sound awfully similar and I thought he was asking if Shawn had had too much to drink.

And then the big, red umbrella blew inside out and lifted out of the ground.
I think he was trying to tell us it was too windy for le grand parapluie rouge.
So we walked a bit further down the beach to a little place with rocks along the side and set up the umbrella.  It was the perfect place to set up our spot for the day.

IMG_2882

This guy loved it.

IMG_2883

But soon he became powerless to the cool breeze and calming sounds of the ocean.

IMG_2884

He napped for a few hours while Shawn and I took turns playing in the sand and waves with Hannah.

IMG_2886

When we were worn flat out from the sun, sand and waves, we headed back to the RV.  Shawn grilled burgers while I bathed kids.  After dinner, we made s’mores and when Finley went to bed, Shawn, Hannah and I had a game night outside.  These are sweet, sweet memories.

And also, I had to get a little creative with the s’mores, because you just can’t get the right ingredients here.  I couldn’t find Hershey’s chocolate but I did find Reese’s peanut butter cups.  And the marshmallows here are far more sugary than in the US, so roasting them on an open fire was more like making bite sized crème brulee.  As for graham crackers, a woman at the little shop in Luxembourg that sells American and British items told me that these would be a fine substitute. 

IMG_2887


And they were. 
So that’s what we had.  Crème brulee and Reese’s cups on a digestive biscuit.

Fancy.

Anyway, we’re packing up now and are off to our next stop in Corsica.

(If anyone from the Corsican mafia is reading this, we are NOT headed to the town of Calvi.)

3 comments:

  1. Digestive?! Um...sounds like a cracker filled with laxatives. *snort*

    I am loving your updates of your trip. What a fantastic opportunity y'all are having.

    Stay safe and stay away from those mafia men! (I have a story about one of Chris' family members who was on his way to a big mafia meeting and got a flat tire on the way. That flat tire saved him from being arrested by the dozen cops who flew by to bust the meeting.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I should say ancestor instead of family member.

    ReplyDelete
  3. About organization: it is not an Italian thing as you can see... It's a southern thing; we are the rednecks of Europe (we just drive very small automobiles instead of pickup trucks and drink wine instead of beer :)

    ReplyDelete