Tuesday, April 20, 2010

In The Spirit of Keeping It Real

I'm not gonna lie.  The last week and a half could have been better. But it could have been worse, too. Shawn was traveling for work and I had a brilliant idea to do another mini makeover to surprise him.  I took on the arduous task of selecting a paint color and shopped for a shower curtain and a million other accessories for our hallway bathroom.  I even took measurements in anticipation of placing an order for one of these beauties.  Then, as I was approaching the checkout line, I thought to myself, "I'm just not into this."  So, I put everything back and left the store empty handed.
And I am so glad that I did.  My body was telling me to slow down and rest.  I was having one of those weeks where you wake up feeling almost as tired as you were when you went to bed the night before. 
My bathroom still looks like this:

But I'm okay with it.  It's not terrible.  Just a little blah and vanilla. I once had a friend describe my decorating selections as "death by almond." She's right.  I tend to go with the bland, neutral colors.  Which is surprising because I really love bold colors and sparkles.  I just get all nervous at the last minute and end up going with what's safe.  Someday I hope to use this as a "before" picture and have a stunning "after" photo to show.  (Yes, that is a toddler toilet seat and step stool covered in Mickey Mouse stickers. Just keepin' it real.)
While Shawn was gone, my mom gave us a little scare and unexpectedly spent a few days in the hospital. She's okay and finally home.  Thanks to my wonderful friends and family (you know who you are!) for the phone calls, emails, texts and for stepping in to help me manage all of the additional responsibilities that I took on while she was in the hospital and Shawn was gone.   (Aunt Chris, you go ahead and book us a day at the spa because the pedi's are on me!)
Hannah and I did enjoy some gorgeous Ohio spring weather, except for one morning of rain.  So we did what any two girls would do and put on our slickers and splashed around the sidewalk with our "brellies and wellies."  How very British of us.


I did find a little bit of time to start on a summer dress for Hannah.  Using this tutorial, I began my very first shirred dress. Actually it was my first shirred anything.  I don't know why I have been so intimidated by elastic thread!  I bought three spools of the stuff last summer and it has sat unused since.  I finally got it out and got to work. I found this adorable cherry fabric on sale for $4 per yard.  So, while Hannah napped I began this:
107_4424


It really is easy to do.  And the tutorial explains step by step how to do it, starting with winding your thread by hand (very important detail!) to finishing off with a blast of steam from your iron.
Meg from A Little Knick Knack and I are going to be doing guest posts on each other’s blogs on Monday, so check out Meg’s blog to see the finished product!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that you have not been feeling well. The dress is looking super cute, I can't wait to see it. Oh, and how cute are those boots of hers?! Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute dress! Me? I tend to be TOO bold and such with decorating,so I have had to become more vanilla :)
    I can't wait to see the after!

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad your momma is feeling better and I hope you bounce back yourself!
    love the boots on Twinks so cute!

    ReplyDelete