Sunday, April 25, 2010

Blog Swap: A Little Knick Knack

Welcome to my first ever blog swap!  Meg has an awesome blog - you must check it out.  She's crafty and witty and has some great projects, especially for kids.  We decided to swap blogs for the day and it has been ever so much fun.  Check out this project she came up with to frame photos.  Is she creative or what?  When you're finished, hop on over to her blog and check out my tutorial for a little summer dress.
************************************************************************************

First, let me introduce myself. I am Meg from A Little Knick Knack. I've had my little blog since the beginning of the year and can I just say, it is the most fun ever! I have had a blast sharing projects, meeting new people in the blog world and just generally being amazed by all the wonderful talent I see when I have time to peruse online. Right now, I'm a stay-at-home-mom with my three kids, ages 4, 3, and 2! My daughter is in preschool and the other two kids just stay at home and play with me. It's a busy life, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Along those lines, I wanted to share this fun way to share your pictures of your family and loved ones.

First, find an old piece of wood, size is really not important. I used some old wood from a project my husband was doing outside.


Next, I spray painted a coat with my heirloom white, by Rustoleum. That stuff's great! I didn't worry about getting a good solid coat on, because I knew I was going to sand it down for a worn finish.


After the paint dries, use a rough-grained sand paper to sand the edges until the original wood shows through. I like to do the edges and corners really well and then do a light sand over the surface of the wood.

After that is done, and you've wiped off the excess for a smooth finish, find some material. I used these awesome cocktail napkins I won from a give away on Finding Fabulous (which is an amazing blog, by the way--check it out!). Since I'm not a drinker and the napkins were just too fancy for my everyday use, I decided to use them for this project.


Now, grab your Mod Podge and glue those suckers on your board. I used a liberal amount of glue and used my fingers to smooth out the bubbles. After that layer dries (it doesn't take very long, about an hour), apply another layer of Mod Podge to the top of the material, again using your fingers to smooth over the top.


While that is drying, pick out some lovely pics from your printer (I like my tones in sepia, but you can do color or black and white, whatever you love!) and print them on regular printer paper.

I used some of my distressing ink to distress the pictures and then...


.I crumpled them up into tiny little balls! I know, I know! But, trust me, it's a fun look after you un-crumple and smooth them out. I wanted a kind of worn, distressed look.


Once the fabric is dry, position your pictures on your board and use the Mod Podge to glue them on the fabric. Again, wait for it to dry and apply another layer of the glue to the top of the picture.

Once all the glue is dry, use any technique you enjoy to add a more aged look to your wood. I like to use the Ralph Lauren Faux Technique Glaze in smoke. A lot of things will get you this same look, though....wood stain, watered-down acrylic paint....don't be afraid to use your imagination!


I simply used a dry towel to rub the glaze over the edges an across the fabric (I avoided the pictures) and then used another towel to wipe off the excess. The resulting look is a great way to age the wood!


I added a little leather tie to the middle of the board for some interest. Now, my board is very thick, so I simply set it up on its side to display. But, if my board were thin, I would definitely use a picture hook to display on the wall.



My lovely picture board is currently displayed on our mantle. It was a fun and cheap project and I hope you enjoyed it!


Thanks for checking out our blog swap and I hope to see you over at A Little Knick Knack soon! Thanks again, Tina, for this opportunity and I'm so happy we found each other to host this little swap!





Sumo Sweet Stuff
The Girl Creative



UndertheTableandDreaming


6 comments:

  1. Very cute, I'm gettting inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this project! I love me some modgepodge too! Be blessed. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very fun project - that turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now THAT is crafty and adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute, what a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neat and creative idea...big Modge fan here too!! :)

    Jenni
    MissTutu.com

    ReplyDelete