Saturday, April 3, 2010

Dressed to Impress

If you know me in real life, you know that last summer was spent making all kinds of clothes for Hannah.  There's just something about little girls and summery dresses!  Here's a look back at some of my favorites.

1. The Shirt Dress

Using the tutorial I found here, I took one of Shawn's shirts that he no longer wore and turned it into a sweet little dress.  At the time of this picture, Hannah was about 21 months old.  The pattern was for a 2-3T, so I had to go back and make significant alterations because she is one tiny gal.  I have since made lots more dresses for her using this same basic pattern, but making adjustments for sleeve length and such.  The joke in our house is that Shawn is going to wake up one morning and not have a shirt to wear to work because I turned them all into dresses for our daughter. 


2.  The Ruffle Sleeve Shirt





Using another fabulous tutorial by Dana, I was so happy with the way this one turned out.  I loved the brown, pink, blue and green print contrasted with the coordinating stripes.  This turned out to be a versatile piece because Hannah wore it in the summer with skirts and shorts, and in the fall, I paired it with a long sleeve shirt, jeans and boots.

3.  The Peasant Dress


Using the same basic pattern as the Shirt Dress, I adjusted the sleeve length to make this cute little dress for early fall.  I fell in love with the brown damask contrasted with pink.  Again, this dress has been worn a variety of ways - last fall with tights and a little cardigan and now that the weather is finally getting warm, it will be worn as a shirt!

8 comments:

  1. I remember all of these when you first revealed them. They are all so cute! I think my favorite is the brown shirt but I love the creativity of turning the men's shirt into a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so cute - almost as cute as your daughter! I can't believe you made all those adorable clothes...I totally wish I could sew like that. I'm crafty, but not with that. I was reading your 'about me' section, and we have so much in common! I'm definitely following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it! Thanks for sharing!
    I have a great interview with a savvy blogger on my blog right now with great tips on how to help your blog grow.
    You can check it out at http://bloggerchixdesigns.blogspot.com/2010/04/aprils-featured-interview-april.html
    Also a giveaway for a Trendy Diaper Changing Pad if your interested :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all great. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, so cute! That's such a good idea, using your husbands shirts. And your little girl is adorable.

    Thank you for linking this to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I was just eying a shirt and thinking about turning it into a toddler dress. These are awesome! And your little model is completely adorable. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those all turned out so cute! I love the red belt in the first dress...such a great effect on the overall outfit!! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do such a great job too with your "scraps"! Your little girls clothes are soooo super cute and make her look even more precious...esp with her name embroidered on the toosh. Loving it! You should also try freezer paper stenciling...so easy and super cute too! Thanks for following me and my sewing frenzy! I love looking at your site as well! Great job Ohio friend!

    ReplyDelete