Friday, November 25, 2011

Insta-Friday: Thanksgiving Style

In Luxembourg, November 24 was just another Thursday.
But at our house we had a full blown, old fashioned Thanksgiving.

Wanna know the best part?

On Wednesday my sister arrived in Luxembourg.
All the way from Los Angeles. 
That’s 5,700 miles and 18 hours of travel.
(Don’t even ask how many kilometers that is.  I have no idea.)
After hearing “Is it time to go pick up Aunt Traci?” no less than 4,000 times that day, the moment finally arrived.

006

Hannah and Aunt Traci were back together again.
(You can read more about my sister here and here.)

I thought that the week couldn’t get any better.
Then Aunt Traci opened her Suitcase O’ Plenty.
She brought the giving to Thanksgiving.
Oh yes she did.
Pumpkin puree, evaporated milk and Ritz crackers.

019

And if you look closely, you’ll also see a can of French’s fried onions and some cream of mushroom soup.  Hello, green bean casserole.

I’d mentioned to her in a text that there were some grocery items that I needed for the Turkey Day feast but haven’t been able to find here in Luxembourg.
And Aunt Traci didn’t disappoint.

Thursday morning, we stayed in our jammies and got our bird ready for roasting.

020

Poor Traci. 
She was so jet lagged. 
She kept saying that she felt like she was peeling carrots in the middle of the night.
A nine hour time change is a lot for one girl.

022

So Traci and Hannah took naps and I kept one eye on the bird and the other on the Macy’s Parade, thanks to my husband and Slingbox.   
My oven is teeny tiny and operates on degrees Celsius and military time.  I was worried that a.) the turkey wouldn’t fit and b.) that I would over or under cook it.

My fridge is also teeny tiny and the iced tea did not fit.
So I chilled it outside on the window sill.

021

Later that evening, my little helper assisted with setting the table. 

024

Here’s our feast.  I stuck to simple recipes.
You can find them on my Thanksgiving Menu Pinterest board.

023

013

(I didn’t over or under cook the bird.  It was just right.)

Happy Thanksgiving to all of our family and friends in America!
We love and miss you all!

“Enter his gates with thanksgiving 
and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; 
his faithfulness continues through all generations.”
Psalm 100:4-5

life rearranged

3 comments:

  1. Your Thanksgiving meal looks delish!!! And what a great Sister for traveling to spend time with you on Thanksgiving!! :o)

    You have a lot to be thankful for. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics...the food looks SO yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like y'all had a fantastic meal. I especially love that your sister packed food. That is totally something I would do. I know I'm late, but Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete