About six years ago, my grandma gave me a set of dining room furniture.
It has a table, four chairs, a buffet, an armoire and three leaves to make the table really big.
For six years, Shawn and I have been saying that we were going to give it a makeover.
Well, we finally did.
Wanna know when?
FOUR DAYS before the movers were coming to load up our stuff to ship to Europe.
Nothing like adding a 30 hour project to the most hectic time of our lives, right?
I mean, really. Who does stuff like this?
We hauled all the pieces out to the garage.
(We had some help. Ok, lots of help.)
We sanded and painted. Sanded and painted.
Wash, rinse, repeat.
Then I reupholstered the chairs.
It was way easier than I thought.
Good thing because it was a solo project.
I wasn’t sure about the fabric and to be honest, what I selected wasn’t my first choice.
But then I realized that if I selected a fabric with a pattern, I’d never get all the chairs to match and it would be impossible to properly line up the print. And I’d never be able to enjoy a meal at a table if the pattern on each of the chairs was all wonky and misaligned.
I’m kidding. Kind of.
Then I started getting all dizzy and high maintenance because WE CAN’T MOVE TO EUROPE UNTIL THESE CHAIRS ARE REUPHOLSTERED.
I wish we had taken pictures of the process, but we were moving at such a FRANTIC PACE that there just wasn’t time. The paint was barely dry on the day the movers loaded all of it up into the oversea container. In fact, I wrapped every single piece in waxed paper so that the paint wouldn’t be damaged by the bubble wrap and cardboard.
And I may or may not have bolted upright in bed, awoken by a dream about the table floating in the middle of the Atlantic.
In the end, every piece made it unscathed, unscratched and unchipped.
And I’m digging my new dining room.