Sunday, November 27, 2011

Black Friday? No Doorbusters Here, Folks.

We usually venture out a little on Thanksgiving weekend to do some shopping.
We’re not the hard core, camp out, stand in line all night types but we do enjoy a good sale.
And the people watching.  Oh, the people watching.
Is there a better time to people watch than Black Friday?
Especially those hard core, camp out, stand in line all night types.

In Luxembourg, there’s no such thing as Black Friday.
Or Thanksgiving. 
Obvs.
After we had our own Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, we spent Friday showing Aunt Traci around and soaking up some of the culture of our new city. 
Shawn had to work so it was just the girls.
030

031

032

033

034

After the Christmas Market, we weren’t really ready to go home.
Another American expat had told me about a grocery store called Little Britain that carries British and American items that are difficult to find elsewhere. 
Traci wasn’t about to pass this up because she loves the British. 

We had a bit of trouble finding Little Britain because of a snafu with the GPS. 
We drove back and forth a few times looking for it. 
“This is a lot of time to spend looking for a grocery store,” I told Traci.
”Yea, but it’ll be worth it if they have salsa.  And Cheez-Its.”

Totally.

After a few more go arounds of a roundabout and a demanding TURN AROUND WHEN POSSIBLE from the GPS, we gave up and I pulled into another grocery store to buy milk.  Traci stayed in the car with Hannah.
As I was walking in, WHAT ARE THE CHANCES that the couple in front of me would be speaking English?  British English? 
Certainly they would know where Little Britain is.
So I asked if they did.
And they gave me specific directions.
“They have a lot of American food as well, but you’ll have to splash out,” the woman told me.  I’ve been chuffed as nuts with the selection, though.”
(I think this is why Traci loves the British.)

We found Little Britain and went in.
I learned what “splash out” means.
This stuff is expensive. 
A small(ish) bottle of Aunt Jemima pancake syrup was almost €8, which is like $10.50. 
You don’t even want to know the price of a bag of chocolate chips.

026
And that’s how we spent Black Friday.
No ads.  No doorbusters.  No sales.
Just three girls, a Christmas market and the comfort of knowing that many of the things I thought I’d be missing from home are readily available.

For a splash out, of course.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love that HUGE Christmas tree.

    $10 for syrup? Yikes!!! I continued to be amazed though that you find people who speak English to help you out. And that you're brave enough to approach them- I don't know that I would be.

    The news stories in the states about the craziness of Black Friday was well...crazy. People stepping on an unconscious man, pepper spray in Walmart....

    ReplyDelete