Tuesday, November 1, 2011

11/1/11

Today is a holiday in Europe.
That means that pretty much everything is closed. 

Well.

IKEA’s website led us to believe that the store closest to us was, in fact, open, so we drove the 40 minutes to Belgium.  I’ve never lived closer than 2 hours to an IKEA and I am giddy as all get out to be so close to storage solutions at such reasonable prices. 

It was closed.  We should have known. 

So we decided to drive over to Trier, the oldest city in Germany.  Knowing that all the shops and restaurants would be closed, we thought we could drive around and take in some of the historical sights.

We found this instead:

028
035

A German fair of some sort.
Not so much historical, but a sight. 
So I tried my first schnitzel. 

030
It’s basically meat (don’t even want to know what kind) that they pummel with a mallet, fry up and serve in a bun.  It was a little dry, so I thought that I’d use the mustard bottle that was hanging upside down from a rope, and when I started squeezing (much like one would when milking a cow) the German woman at the booth started waving her hands frantically at me.
”Nien! Nein! Nein! Nein!  German-German-German-KETCHUP-German-German-German.”

Ah, she wants me to put ketchup on it.
She grabbed the schnitzel right out of my hand and filled the bun with what appeared to be ketchup but turned out to be some sort of odd BBQ sauce mixture. 

Next Shawn ordered two drinks: a Coke for him and a water for me.
This is what we got:

032

One Coke and one beer. 
He’s not having much luck ordering drinks is he?
Oh, and there’s my schnitzel.
In case you wondered.

On the way out, there was a booth selling helium balloons.
We told Hannah she could get one.
She picked a pink horse.
We weren’t surprised.

036

034

Today was our fourth day in Europe.
And I’d say it was a pretty good one.

2 comments:

  1. So laughing that you got bier and not wasser. How does that mix-up happen? Bwhahahahaha.

    I love the last shot. That is one you will treasure when Hannah is all grown up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!!!!! Keep the posts coming!!!

    ReplyDelete