Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Pie

I mentioned that Hannah and I are staying with my parents until we leave for Europe.
We turned their kitchen into a little apple pie bakery.
There was a lot of peeling, slicing and mixing up in here.
And some tasting.  Lots of tasting.
Yummy, sweet and tangy apples, fresh from the orchard
Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of the process.
But I did capture the finished product.

DSC_0002

My favorite apples to use in pies are McIntosh and Jonathan. 
They are a good mix of sweet and tart and don’t get mushy when baked.

Here’s one of my favorite recipes.
You’ll need:

2 pie crusts
8 cups of apples, peeled and sliced
2 Tbsp lemon juice
3/4 c white sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp butter
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp milk

1. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. (I used lime juice because I forgot to buy lemon juice.  It worked just fine.)
2.  Mix sugars, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add apples and toss to coat well.
3.  Line your pie dish with crust.  Full disclosure: I use store bought.  (I’m impressed with folks who make theirs from scratch.  But not impressed enough to do it myself.) 
4.  Fill crust lined pie dish with apples and dot with butter.
5.  Place second pie crust on top and pinch the edges together.  Cut slits in the top to vent.
6.  Mix egg and milk and brush onto crust.  This will make it golden and flaky! 
7.  Bake for 15 minutes at 425, then reduce to 350 for 45 minutes.


Share with your family. 
Surprise a friend. 
But don’t admit your crust is store bought. 

1 comment:

  1. My mom makes the BEST apple pies. She too likes McIntosh apples but I don't think I've ever heard of Jonathon.

    ReplyDelete