Monday, March 4, 2013

The Weekly Bump: 37! Full Term! And Cue the Banjos!

Last Wednesday was the day we officially became full term. 
(I know.  I’m a little behind on posting.)
I am so, so thankful to have had two healthy, full term pregnancies.

Here’s what I look like:

37weeks

A number of people have been surprised when I tell them that I still have a little over two weeks left.
I can’t imagine why.
But really, I don’t think I can get any bigger.

The Baby: And finally…the baby is the size of a watermelon.  He or she can weigh as much as 6 pounds at this point.  Hannah was over 8 pounds at birth, so I fully expect this baby to pack on some weight before the big day.
Maternity clothes: I’m in all maternity clothes except for a few shirts here and there that are long enough to cover my belly.  I’ve started to wear Shawn’s t-shirts to sleep in because they are more comfortable than mine, which no longer cover my entire belly.
Movement: Lots and lots of movement still, especially at night.  Space is getting tight in there.
Sleep: I seem to be in a pattern of one night of good sleep, then one night of bad of sleep.  I have no trouble falling asleep, but I have been waking up around 2AM and having a hard time going back to sleep.  There have been a few nights where I have just gotten up and done something productive, like cleaned the kitchen.  It’s been nice that I’ve been able to take naps while Hannah is at school.  And also?  When I lay down to take a nap during the day, I sleep the sleep of angels.  Why can’t I do that during the night?
Food Cravings: No cravings, and my appetite has definitely decreased.  As they say here, I just don’t fancy anything.  Nothing sounds particularly good.  In fact, at my doctor appointment this week, I actually lost weight from the previous week.
Symptoms: More Braxton Hicks, heaviness and pressure low in my belly.  When I was pregnant with Hannah, my hands and feet were swollen at this point, but I haven’t had any swelling this time.  Maybe because it’s winter?  I’ve also been doing some ridiculous things that can only be blamed on “baby brain.”  Or the metric system.
Gender: It’s a surprise! But I’ve had two people just today tell me that they think it’s a boy based on the way I’m carrying.

Late last week, I had an appointment at the hospital where I’ll have the baby.
Here in Luxembourg, you have to meet with the nurse to “complete the file,” which is basically pre-registering and answering a bunch of questions relating to the health of your pregnancy and any specific wishes that you have for the labor, delivery and your stay in the hospital. 

It was all very standard stuff.  And I was pleased to find out that while you can opt to leave the hospital within hours of giving birth, a typical hospital stay is 5 days, as opposed to the mere 48 hours I stayed when Hannah was born in the US.

Then I had to meet with the anesthesiologist, because as I mentioned before if you have any thought of having an epidural, you have to do this.

The nurse at my doctor’s office warned me: No meeting, no epidural.
Right.  Got it. 

Anyway, the nurse that I met with was German and just darling and spoke perfect English.  She and I “completed the file,” and she began explaining to me how all of this will go when it’s time for the baby to be born.

Ya know how there are times when something strikes you as so funny, but it would be unacceptable to laugh or giggle?  So you bite your bottom lip and thank goodness that your husband isn’t with you because if you so much as turned in his direction the pair of you would exchange knowing glances and be unable to hold back all the laughter?

Well, this was one of those times because instead of delivery, she kept saying deliverance.

For example:  After the deliverance, the doctor will ask your husband if he wants to cut the cord.  Then we’ll move you from the deliverance room upstairs to your room.

It really was a struggle to keep from laughing.  
It reminded me of the time the attendant at a parking garage in the city center asked me if I had placed my ticket in my pooch and I just stared at him until I remembered that the French word for pocket is poche. 
Except this time all I could think of were dueling banjos in the background.

So, what else has been going on around here?
Well, with practically no time at all until the baby is due to arrive, Shawn has taken up the guitar.  Oh yes, he has.

I’ve been cleaning and disinfecting.
He’s been strumming.
I guess we each have our own way of nesting.

IMG_1817

I had to go back to the Labor and Deliverance unit of the hospital to have some blood work done and Hannah came with me.  She spent the rest of the afternoon wanting to check out the baby with her plastic stethoscope.
“But Mom, I’m an English doctor.  You don’t have to try to speak French to me.”

IMG_1828

I seem to have lost all perception of just how big I really am.  Not only did I manage to get myself wedged behind a box of Christmas decorations in the basement because I thought I could just slide by, but today my huge belly knocked a glass jar of cumin off the shelf in the pantry.  And then that same huge belly prevented me from bending over to clean it up.  So our kitchen smelled like an Indian restaurant until Shawn got home to help me.

IMG_1832 

So that’s about it. 
Hopefully the next time I write about this pregnancy, it’s from Labor and Deliverance and we have a new baby in our arms.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! MY daughter (who was born in Lux) celebrates her 1st birthday tomorrow so I am replaying the "deliverance" experience in my mind the past couple of days. I am not sure exactly since the whole hospital stay is a bit of blur but you might actually get to stay 6 days since the day of delivery counts as Day 0 and you leave on Day 5----but I may be remembering this wrong. I actually ended up leaving on Day 4 because I was eager to get home to our son and husband after 5 days in the hospital. I am not sure if this is still applicable but under the national insurance if you leave one day early (Day 4) you get one free visit from the midwife at home during the first 1-2 weeks (you have to set it up yourself but there are a couple English-speaking midwives), this was nice because the midwife weighs the baby and can answer any questions that came up after leaving the hospital. Again wishing you all the best in the coming days/weeks!---Asia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being full term! I did have to laugh when I got to the world Deliverance. I don't know if I could have kept a straight face. In France you stay in the hospital for 5 days for baby #1, and for 4 days for babies 2+. It is mostly for monitoring the baby and make sure they are healthy, gaining weight, and to give you time to rest and adapt. I think the American system is definitely lacking in this respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I hope the deliverance goes quickly and painlessly! I'm laughing over the cumin thing. I can just imagine Shawn's face when he walked in the door and you told him why it smelled like a mexican restaurant and why there was broken glass on the floor. Funny stuff!

    ReplyDelete