Thursday, January 12, 2012

Separated by the Same Language

Yesterday was Hannah’s third day at the British International School here in Luxembourg.
I’ve mentioned that her teacher is British, as are many of the students.

Late last week the teacher sent out an email saying that the Early Years students (that’s the US equivalent to preschool) would be using articles of clothing to work on matching, sorting, counting and learning about differences.

I dropped her off at 8:30 and picked her back up at noon.
From there, we headed home for lunch, read some books and got ready for nap time.  I pulled out a pair of sweatpants and a long sleeved t-shirt and asked her if she wanted to change out of her school clothes and into something more comfortable.

”No, I want to keep this jumper on,” she said.
”You want to keep what on?” I asked.
”This.  I just want to wear this jumper,” she said.
“What jumper?” I asked her.


Then I got it.  
Remember Bridget Jones?
And the scene where Mark Darcy tells Bridget what he thinks of her?

“I realize that when I met you at the turkey curry buffet that I was unforgivably rude...and wearing a reindeer jumper...that my mother had given me the day before.”

This is the reindeer “jumper” that he wore to the turkey curry buffet.

turkey-curry-buffet
And this is the “jumper” that Hannah wore to school yesterday.

sweater1

To us, not so much a jumper as a sweater.
Thank goodness for pop culture references.
I guess I’m going to be needing them.
Who’d have thought that she’d pick up on an American English/British English difference so quickly?
There’s bound to be dozens more, I guess.

P.S. Hannah, you make me laugh.

Love,
Your Mum

No comments:

Post a Comment