Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Weekly Bump: 26, 27 & 28 (Welcome to the Third Trimester)

I haven’t kept up well with my pregnancy updates, or the blog in general, because of all that’s been going on with my dad.  As of today, he’s been in ICU in critical condition for 22 days, I think.  It’s hard to keep track.  But, I’ve been slowly piecing this post together because we’re trying really hard to not let the stress of all of this overshadow the joy and excitement of this pregnancy.

This will have to do as my week 26 picture. 

IMG_1642

Here’s what happened:
I had a doctor appointment and the one hour glucose test, which tastes just as awful in Europe as it does in the US.  (Oh, and I passed! I was worried that I wasn’t going to because I have been so thirsty this whole pregnancy and with the aversion to sweets at the beginning…I was thinking there was something going on with my sugars.)  Anyway, on my way out of the doctor’s office, I fell.  Now, this was the second time I’ve fallen in the last 2 months, so I’m certain that this pregnancy is making me clumsy.  I was fine, really, but the receptionist came outside to help me and insisted that she get the doctor. 
I kept telling her, “Ça va.  Ça va.  C'est gênant.” (It’s fine, it’s fine.  This is embarrassing.) 
(I don’t even know if gênant is the right word to use in this situation.  I may have unknowingly embarrassed myself even more.)

But I guess when a 6 1/2 month pregnant girl falls down outside of a doctor’s office, people get kind of serious.  My doctor insisted on seeing me again and all was fine.  Just a minor sprain that only needed a bit of ice and rest.

Thankfully, I didn’t fall in week 27. 
But I did fly across the ocean to be home in the US for Christmas. The flight attendants on the airplane were very sweet to me and kept asking me if I was drinking enough water and insisted that I get up and walk around.  I did notice that the day after we arrived, my hands and feet had a little swelling, probably from the altitude, but they’ve returned to normal.

IMG_1699


Here we are at week 28 weeks and 5 days and the start of the third trimester!  I had a big growth spurt – my belly really popped out between weeks 27 and 28.
(Maybe because I’m home in the US and eating lots of my favorite foods?)
I’m feeling big and awkward, and it’s pretty funny to watch me get up if I’m sitting on the floor, but no aches or pains or major discomfort.  Shawn got me a pregnancy body pillow for Christmas, and I love it!  That thing is a little slice of heaven.  I’m still getting out of breath easily and eating lots of smaller meals rather than large ones is definitely better.  The baby is kicking and rolling all the time and it’s the best thing in the world!  I’m getting more frequent Braxton Hicks but still feeling great.  Monday morning I had an appointment with my doctor here in the US.  If you know me in real life, you probably know how much Shawn and I like him.  He was my doctor long before I was pregnant with Hannah, he delivered her and took such good care of me during and after my miscarriage.  Anyway, everything at the appointment was great – we heard the sweet little heartbeat and were assured that things are looking nice and healthy.   I got teary when we left the office, knowing that we’re headed back to Luxembourg shortly and because I have to admit that I’m a wee bit scared of all the unknowns of having a baby in a foreign country.

IMG_1698

(Santa’s got nothin’ on this belly)

So today is the start of week 29 but I don’t have a picture. 
Maybe later…

I know I keep saying this – but thank you, thank you, thank you to all of our friends and family that have been so supportive in the last three weeks while my dad’s been so sick.  Things are still not looking good at all, but we are remaining hopeful. 
A special thanks to my parents’ amazing neighbors for shoveling the drive, bringing food over and spending New Year’s Eve with us at the hospital.  We love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment