Thursday, January 10, 2013

On School and Changes

This kid.
She amazes me.

IMG_1565
Back in October, we had parent teacher meetings at her school.
(I’m going to spend the rest of this post bragging about my child.)
(If it’s annoying, I promise I’m not trying to be.)
(Feel free to click the little red X up there in the corner.)

Anyway, she’s totally rocking at school and someday I want her to read this and know just how proud of her we are. 
Her teacher at her school in Luxembourg had great things to say about her social interactions, behavior and academics – I mean, as much academics as 5 year olds do.
She said that Hannah is right on track with literacy related activities and above average for numeracy related stuffs.  She has a bend for math and numbers…and you have no idea how happy this makes me because math was (and is) a weakness for me.
It’s a safe bet that she gets this from Shawn.

One of the things that I love most in her classroom is this world map. Each kid drew a picture of themselves, pinned up their country’s flag and used string to connect their picture to their country/nationality.
Hannah is the only American in her class.
And, if you look closely, she thinks she’s from St. Louis. 
We’ll work on US geography later.

IMG_1658
Since we are home in the US indefinitely due to my dad’s health issues (you can read about it here) we decided to enroll her in a Pre-K class.  As I mentioned before, we may only be here another week, or we could be here until the end of the school year.

Today was her first day in the new school.

She walked right in, hung up her coat and hat and we surveyed the classroom together. 

”I’ll be back this afternoon to get you at three o’clock,” I told her.
”A trois heure?” she asked.  At three o’clock?
”A trois heure,” I assured her.

When it was time for me to go, she hugged and kissed me and walked with her teacher to the first activity of the day.

When I picked her up a trois heure, I asked her how it went and if she wanted to go back. 
“They don’t say any French or British words here but my teacher is nice so I’ll go back.  But I don’t belong here,” she told me.

And that was that. 
She’s such a brave little girl, unwavering in the midst of change and the feeling of not always belonging here nor there, which is often what expat life is like. 

I might be biased, but I’d say she’s turning out to be a pretty good little expat.

1 comment:

  1. What a cutie! Tina, I've just spent about 1/2 an hour catching up on your blog and I have 2 things to say: 1. You look so cute pregnant! I'm so excited for you! Being pregnant is such a wonderful experience and I love how you are documenting it here for posterity. ;) And 2. I'm so sorry about your dad. I hope and pray all will go well!

    ReplyDelete