Sunday, June 3, 2012

Things I Try to Say in French

This week I put my growing, but still limited – oh, so limited - French vocabulary to use and asked a stranger on the street for directions to the library. 

She crooked her head to one side and stared at me like a dog who’s just heard a sound he’s never heard before. Then she kind of laughed and told me how to get there.
(I can understand what others are saying far better than what I can actually say.)

After we parted ways I realized that I used the French word for taste instead of the word for left.  I totally reminded myself of the foreign exchange student that lived in my dorm freshman year who was always mixing up the words kitchen and chicken

Be sure to let me know if you’re ever in the Luxembourg area and need some assistance in speaking with the locals.
I’d be happy to do the translations for you.

2 comments:

  1. Awww!!! I thought about you this weekend, we watched a House Hunters about a family that moved to Lux from the USA. It looks so beautiful there, it's so great that you have the opportunity to live abroad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is classic. I'm so glad you're writing all this down. You are going to have so many great stories for your grandkids one day.

    ReplyDelete