Thursday, June 14, 2012

What We Are Reading

Have I ever told you that I love to read?

Although I don’t do as much of it as I’d like these days, I have been known to stay up late into the night unable to put a book down.

Hannah loves to read, too.  Well, technically, she loves to be read to since she can’t read yet.  She also likes to look at the pictures and tell her own story.

When I was not much older than Hannah, my mom started reading the Little House on the Prairie series to me. 
 

Reading

I recently started reading to her our first chapter book, or “the book without any pictures,” as Hannah calls it.

Hannah was immediately drawn in by the idea of a family keeping penguins at their house!
There have been a few words or references that I have had to paraphrase or stop to define for her, but for the most part, this book is completely understandable for a four and a half year old.  We spend a little time reading each day - sometimes thirty minutes, sometimes just ten.  It’s something we both really look forward to.

Here’s what else is on our summer reading list:

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
(Thanks to my mom for sending this to us!)

My Father’s Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

My Father's Dragon

Pippy Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

GeekDad has a great list of books to read to kids under the age of 10.  I’ll be checking this out when we finish up our summer reading.

Of course, Hannah still loves picture books and has quite a few favorites such as Pinkalicious, Fancy Nancy, Clifford the Big Red Dog and the Slinky Malinky/Harry Maclary series.

We recently did a book swap with a couple of girls in Hannah’s class at school and it was a lot of fun to read their favorite books and change up our routine.
(I think that the British moms got a big kick out of all of our cowgirl books.)
(Plus, I could listen to them say “Fancy Nancy” all day long.)

Reading2a 
As for me?  I pretty much have this book in my hand or in my purse at all times.

Easy French (Usborne Internet-Linked Easy Languages)

What about you?  Reading anything good?

1 comment:

  1. Has she seen Mr. Popper's Penguins movie? If not, try to get it after you finish the book. It is an excellent movie and my boys will watch it every time it is on TV.

    A book swap sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete