Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tutorial: Super Kid Cape

versatile
reversable
superkid
A few weeks ago, Hannah started asking me if I would make her a cape.  Off to JoAnn Fabrics we went, 40% coupon in hand, to choose our fabric.  I was pretty impressed with Hannah’s selection: silver and teal with sparkles.
102_5310

This was so easy to make. 
I had it finished in less than one hour.
Since it is not a garment, per se, there’s no need to worry about perfection.

You’ll need:
1 yard of fabric for top, 1 yard of fabric for bottom
Coordinating thread

Start by laying one piece of fabric out, folded so that the selvedge edges meet up.
102_5311
I used one of Hannah’s t-shirts as a guide for the neckline. Using a fabric pencil, I traced the shape of the neckline from the center to about the shoulder.
102_5312
 
From there, I drew a triangular shape and cut it out. 
You can see the fold in the center.
102_5313
Then I used this as a pattern to cut out my other piece.
 102_5314
Using scraps from the blue fabric, I cut two strips that were each 2 inches x 22 inches. 
I folded each in half lengthwise (right side together) and sewed down the length and closed at one end. 
102_5315
102_5316
I turned each right side out to make the ties.
102_5317
Then I sewed the two main pieces of the cape together, right sides facing each other, and stopped when I got to the neck.  I placed the tie pieces where I wanted them and tucked them into the cape so that they would be in place when turned right side out.  That sounds more complicated than it is. 
Maybe the pictures will help.
cape1
cape2
Finally, I continued to sew the pieces together, leaving a small opening to turn it right side out. 
Once I turned it right side out, I sewed that opening closed. 
Then I turned my little super hero loose!
102_5324

5 comments:

  1. Cute! I love the colors she picked too, my kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great colors, agreed! this looks like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shiny and reversible equals too much super hero awesomeness to stand! Your little good doer looks so cute in hers! Thanks for sharing at A Crafty Soiree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUPER cute! I bet you will not be able to go anywhere without it...
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is soo sweet! Love the sparkle and shine.. perfect for a super girlie fighting crime! Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party!

    ReplyDelete