Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful

Happy Thanksgiving from these little turkeys!

DSC_0040a

This is the third Thanksgiving that we’ve lived in Europe (and Finley’s first!) and I have to say that I’m a bit homesick today.  It’s a strange feeling to be in a place where there’s no Thanksgiving and even if we live here for the rest of our lives, I don’t think I’ll ever get used to it.  It’s also weird to watch everyone carry on as if this is just a regular day in November – going to work and school and the grocery store.

I’ve mentioned before that I’m making a big effort to do American holidays up big for my kids.  I don’t ever want them to miss out or not understand or appreciate holidays and traditions simply because of where we live.  So, on Saturday we’re having a big ole Thanksgiving celebration with some other American families and I can’t wait!

I did run into a bit of a snag with the Turkey Day preparations, however, when the American Women’s Club of Luxembourg, who has always gotten turkeys and other American groceries for members, was unable to do so this year.  We did manage to find turkeys elsewhere, but some of our other fixins may be less than, um…traditional this year.

Sometimes being an expat requires resourcefulness and flexibility.

I also wanted to mention that last week we hit the four month mark of the autoimmune breakout that Hannah had during the summer.  The doctor told us that if we make it four months without a recurrence, chances of it coming back are much lower.  That doesn’t guarantee that it won’t ever happen again, and she’s still being followed closely by the doctor, but so far we haven’t had any trouble.  For that, we are so thankful.

To our friends and family in the US -
We miss you.  We love you.  We’re so thankful for you.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. I'm fortunate that we have a very a large American Expat community in my teeny tiny town so we do a huge Thanksgiving every year with turkey and all the fixings, but it's on a Sunday and it's never really the "same".

    ReplyDelete