Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Trick or Treat

Halloween isn’t a big deal in Europe.
But The American Women’s Club of Luxembourg hosts a trick or treating event and this year we were able to make it.  (Last year we were cruising the Mediterranean.)
I was surprised at the number of costumes I saw in the stores, and even more surprised that most of them were adult sizes, with not much for kids.

But that’s okay – we had no intention of buying costumes anyways.

To me, there’s just something special about making Halloween costumes for my kids.

Hannah said she wanted to be a cupcake, and from there we thought the obvious choice for Finley was to be a baker.

halloween2

Her costume was really simple to make.  I used one of her dresses as a pattern for the “wrapper” and sewed some suspenders to hold it up.  I also added a pink ribbon along the bottom for dimension.  For the icing, I used a large round piece of thick felt, cut a hole for her head and draped, gathered and stitched the organza material in place. 

halloween1

For the top, she’s wearing a knit hat with organza stitched on. 
Let me tell you about this organza material.
I bought the lighter pink material at a fabric store in town and then realized that I hadn’t bought enough.  Hannah has pink curtains hanging in her room and they are waaaay too long – pooling onto the floor.  I’ve been meaning to hem them for almost two years now, so I wacked the bottom off to use for the costume.

Halloween3

And all I could think about when I was stitching the pieces together was the line from The Sound Of Music when Captain von Trapp yells at Maria, “Do you mean to tell me that my children have been roaming about Salzburg dressed up in nothing but some old drapes?”

Finley’s costume was even easier to put together.
I found this adult sized chef hat and altered it to fit a baby.

Halloween4

I used some t-shirt material to make an apron, grabbed some measuring spoons from the kitchen and called it good.

Halloween5

My children have been roaming about Luxembourg dressed up in nothing but some old drapes.

Halloween6

Mmm-Hmmm.  And having a marvelous time!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I LOVE that you used curtains for her costume! That is the best.costume.story.ever. You must watch the Sound of Music and explain that scene to her so she realizes how awesome you really are. I am grinning ear to ear over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. Love. This. The sound of Music is one of my favorite movies all time!! I have about an hour left on Fin's quilt and I'm cursing myself for not having it done yet!!! I have work to do!!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a wonderful piece of blog. What a nice trick of treat, I found it very impressive way of treating. I think recognized the natural abilities like that surely encourage the professional of every field to do something more in career.
    Chef Webinars

    ReplyDelete