Thursday, May 2, 2013

9 Miscellaneous Things

1. We’ve had some beautiful days here in Luxembourg, perfect for long walks and scooter riding. 

IMG_2126

2. The little mister at 5 weeks.  He’s seriously such a sweet baby, easy going and totally chill.
He nurses about every 3 hours during the day and every 2 hours in the evening. 
And I know that NO ONE IS GOING TO BELIEVE ME and I’m probably going to ruin it by writing it, but this babe has been sleeping the sleep of angels since we’ve been home from the hospital.  For the first few weeks, I was setting my alarm to wake up during the night to feed him.  I mentioned this to his doctor at his one month check up and she said, “You don’t need to do this.  Let him sleep.  He’s not going to forget to let you know when he’s hungry.”
For the last few weeks, he’s been falling asleep around 9:30 and usually waking just one time, around 4:00AM for a feeding and then going back to sleep until around 7:00.  But the last two nights, he has skipped the 4:00AM feeding and slept right until morning.  I told Shawn that because of the things I went through during the pregnancy –  ridiculous all day sickness during the first trimester and then losing my dad when I was 33 weeks – that the Lord knew exactly what our family needed and blessed us with a calm and good sleeping baby. 
He has really been our joy after sorrow. 

IMG_2130

3.  Speaking of sleeping, this little girl loves to get all tucked in with her spotty dog.

IMG_2124

Some people say that she looks a lot like my sister, Traci.  Or, No Blog Traci, as I call her.
(The girl seriously needs a blog.  She’s got stories people would pay to read about.)
Top: Traci at age 5.
Bottom: Hannah at age 5. 
We have some strong genes in my family, don’t ya think?IMG_2125

3. Last week we took Finley on his first trip into France, to a little town called Rodemack.  It’s an old medieval town and I could look at the buildings all day long.

IMG_2122

I mean, how cute are the aqua shutters and front door?
Love.

IMG_2132

4.  We also took Finley on his first trip to Belgium.
Okay, it was just to Ikea, but whatever.
I wore him in the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder and he seemed to like it.

IMG_2131

5. So we also did some babywearing at Hannah’s ballet class.
(That’s Hannah standing in front of the teacher.)
Finley slept through the entire class.   
Clearly he doesn’t appreciate the arts.

IMG_2123

6.  One of the things that I’ve never quite felt completely comfortable with is driving in Europe, even after living here for 1 1/2 years.  But I realized that I must be adapting and getting over it because outside of Hannah’s school this week I parked my car just like a European – half on the street and half up on the sidewalk.  And I had no qualms about it. 

IMG_2129

7. Navy and green were the order of the day for this big sister and little brother in their unplanned and coordinating, but not matchy-matchy outfits.
(Yes, it’s a sweater vest.  On a baby.  I die at the cuteness.)

IMG_2148

8.  Saturday nights sure are different than they used to be.
I love Finley’s little foot sticking up out of his bathtub.
Have I mentioned how much I love his baby feet?
(In fact, he’s hanging out next to me right now and I just took off his socks to look at them.)

IMG_2153

9. Finley is 6 weeks old and where has the time gone?  This week I packed up my maternity clothes for good and put them in a box to be donated or passed along to whichever of my friends should happen to need them next. (Anyone? Anyone?)  And then I started to feel a tiny bit sad that yes, this is the last baby for us but I reminded myself of something I heard on The Simple Mom podcast.  No matter how many babies you have, there’s always a last one and at some point you will feel that twinge in your heart that this is the last baby – if you have two or twenty babies.  So I’m really focusing on soaking up as much as I can of my kiddos right now.  I don’t want to miss Hannah reading her “high frequency words” in her British accent or any of Finley’s smiles and coos.  There’s really something about a baby smiling at his mama, isn’t there?
These are the things that I’ll hold in my heart for a long time.

1 comment:

  1. First off, it would have been oh so kind of you to at least look like you were pregnant recently! Totally not fair, but you do look fabulous.

    I love the shot of Shawn bathing Hannah with Finley right next to the tub. You captured such a sweet moment in time.

    So when is your next trip to TX?

    ReplyDelete