Monday, November 19, 2012

On being an expat…

So, there’s this thing that expats do. 
We disconnect ourselves, in a way, from what we’ve left behind.  It’s normal and healthy and if we didn’t…well…we’d be stuck in a cultural jet lag, so to say. 
We sort of let ourselves believe that the life we left has stopped moving and everything is just as it were when we were a part of it.

But then you get a piece of news from home and are jolted to the reality that everything back home is, in fact, still moving.  And everyone’s pressing on at warp speed while you’re feeling stuck in slow motion.

Last summer, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. 

Hannah and I were home in the US with him and my mom while he went to weekly chemo and daily radiation treatments.

We’ve finally gotten the news that the treatments did their job well enough to allow him to have surgery.  This is what we’ve been hoping and praying for.

274_49981805245_1719_n[1]

But it’s a major surgery, with a long recovery.
We don’t know what the outcome of all this will be, but we are trusting the One that does.

Will you pray for my dad?  And our family?
We could use it right now.

6 comments:

  1. I'm on it!
    Take good care of each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep your dad in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I will pray. So thankful that things have gone well thus far. I know it's hard being so far away from home at times like this, I am praying for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely will pray. So glad it is looking good so far.
    And I so know that feeling like life must surely pause when you're not there and then being shocked when it doesn't. It's a little like living in The Truman Show :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete