Wednesday, July 11, 2012

More Bits and Bobs

Here’s a little of what we’ve been up to.

1. The other day I was driving behind a van – maybe a repairman of some sort.  I can’t remember.  I was just minding my own business, really.
The van slowed down to a stop so I did, too.  Then a car pulled up on my right and a man in his 50’s started flailing his arms around, pointing at me and yelling in Luxembourgish or German.
(It’s hard to tell the difference.)
He just kept yelling at me and I couldn't get a word in to tell him that I didn’t understand, so I did what any American girl driving in a foreign country would do.
I grabbed an American flag napkin off of my passenger seat (left over from our little 4th of July celebration) and started waving it.
Oh, yes I did.
Dude was furious.
I wasn’t trying to be disrespectful, honestly.  But since he wasn’t going to let me tell him that I speak English, I needed a way to show him. 
(I still have no idea what I did wrong because he flipped me off and sped away.)
(I guess this means that road rage and the finger are universal.)

2. This week I accidentally used the French verb for to eat instead of to feed.  It’s an easy mistake, really, and might not have been a big deal except I was telling someone about taking care of my neighbor's rabbits while they were out of town.  To make a long story short, I told a native French speaker that I was going home to eat my neighbor’s rabbits.  Again, please let me know if you need me to do any French translating for you.

3. We’re finally in the last week of school and we got Hannah’s year end report from her teacher.  She has done so well and we couldn’t be more proud of her.

4.  Louie got his summer cut two weeks ago.  If you’ve ever wondered what a sheepdog looks like under all that hair, this is it.  Oh, and the umbrella opened indoors?  Well, one of these two insisted on it for the picture.

061

5.  I mentioned that on the 4th of July we took Hannah to the Luxembourg American Military Cemetery.  This picture just cracks me up.  Doesn’t she look like she’s having the best time?  I can’t wait for her to make fun of us when she’s older.  “Hey guys, remember when I was 4 and you took me to that cemetery and we looked at maps of battles and invasions of WWII? That sure was fun.”

113

6.  Today was “Sports Day” at Hannah’s school.  It was unseasonably cold and windy. 
But Girlfriend hustled the ball…

sportsday

Finished strong on the hurdles…

sportsday2

And proudly collected her medal.

sportsday3

7.   It’s just been play date after play date around here. 

062

And what’s a play date without tying up your frock and splashing in the fountain?
And then riding home in the car in nothing but underpants because your mom didn’t have anything else for you to put on?

114
I’m just securing my spot as mother of the year.
(And trying to make up for the maps of battles and invasions of WWII.)

No comments:

Post a Comment