Tuesday, December 13, 2011

This Little Girl

We’ve been here in Luxembourg just over six weeks now.
When Hannah is older, I want her to know these things:

You hopped on the plane and flew here as if you’ve done it a million times. 
You adjusted to a six hour time change that left me dragging for days. 
You eat new foods to which you’re not accustomed. 
You go places you’ve never been.
Where they speak languages you’ve never heard.

002
Twice when we have been at the grocery store you’ve repeated something you heard someone say in French.  Then you covered your mouth and collapsed into a heap of giggles, as if you said something you weren’t supposed to. 

You helped us unpack boxes. 

010
And played quietly in your room while we tended to the things that temporarily took our attention away from you. 

002 (2)
You’ve jumped right in to playing with other kids even though you have no idea what they’re saying.  On this particular day, you played with two other little girls for almost an hour.  When I asked you what their names were you shrugged your shoulders and said, “I don’t know.  They speak French.”

carnival

You sit quietly and patiently in the car while we concentrate on unfamiliar streets, signs and signals.  And while we regain our bearings when we (often) get lost.

This is not to say that everything has been perfect or even ideal.
Because it hasn’t.
Not even close.
This expat thing is the biggest, most difficult thing we’ve ever done.
We have not been without challenges and intense moments. 

018

woods008 
In the last six weeks, nearly every single thing that we know as normal became foreign and unknown. 

But you, little girl, press on as if it all makes sense. 
And we are so proud of you.

3 comments:

  1. It has been 6 weeks already?! How is that possible?

    Hannah is such an amazing little girl, simply amazing. Give her hugs for me even though I doubt she remembers me at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Little Girl (YOU, T!) brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes! Beautifully said...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure why, but this made me cry just a bit!

    ReplyDelete