Sunday, December 12, 2010

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas!

When we were kids, my mom started “Christmas Boxes” for each of us.  Each year, we would get an ornament or two to be stashed in the Christmas Box. 
My sister and I joked about getting “another ornament for the Christmas Box,” to which my mom always said, “You’ll thank me when you get married one day.”
So, thanks, Mom.  And Grandma.  And Aunts. 
The Christmas Box has served me well.  So well, in fact, that I even started one for Hannah on her first Christmas when she was just 7 weeks old.  She’ll thank me when she gets married.  One day.

Here’s Hannah’s Christmas Box.  By the time she’s 6, I suspect that the Christmas Box will have to be a Christmas Rubbermaid Container.

102_5259

This year I put a little pink tree in Hannah’s room.  I found it at Hobby Lobby for 50% off and since it was pink, I could not pass it up.  Then I found a pack of cowgirl themed ornaments that had Hannah’s name all over it.  I also added some of the decorations from her Cowgirl Birthday Party.

Video 126 0 00 00-04 

Close up of the cowgirl hat…

102_5266

Last weekend, we got our big Christmas tree. 
We searched until we found the perfect one…

Video 122 0 00 17-24

And brought ‘er home to decorate.  Isn’t she pretty?  Our living room feels so warm and cozy.

Video 125 0 00 10-26 
I have another tree in our dining room.  It is actually 3 little pencil trees that stay up year round.  Here’s the story:
In 2006, Shawn and I were going to be in Europe for the holidays and didn’t want to go to the trouble to get a big tree, but we also didn’t want to not have a tree either.  So, I found these little guys and decorated them in all things pink and girly.  I have a lot of special ornaments that I added so that I can enjoy them all year long.  When we moved into our house in early 2007, I set these trees up in the dining room and they have been here ever since.

102_5260 102_5261

Christmas is only 11 days away!  This time of year can be so chaotic and rushed.  At Thanksgiving, I made a promise to myself that I would slow down, relax and really enjoy this season.  That has meant saying no to certain things and declining others.  What a joy it has been to worry less about my to do list and spend time with my sweet little family!

1 comment:

  1. I love your trees, and Hannah's is absolutely perfect for her.

    The Christmas box cracks me up. Thanks for the traditions Mom! Hahahaa

    I too am trying to slow down and enjoy things more. I usually have all my shopping done by now but there wasn't as much "free" money this year and I'm trying to not put things on credit card so it is taking forever when I only buy a little bit each week. *sigh* I hate going to the last minute.

    ReplyDelete