Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Christmas 2010: Full Disclosure

 
Disclosure #1
I started out with silver mesh on my tree, but decided that I didn’t like it so I stayed up late one night, removed all the ornaments and switched it out for green. 

tree5

Disclosure #2
I had very good intentions of putting up our old artificial tree in the front room.  This is as far as I got.  All season long, this poor tree sat in the window wearing just one strand of lights with a box of ornaments next to it.

102_5301

Disclosure #3
My grandma used to give me poinsettias every year.  This year I didn’t get one.  Shawn said that by looking at my aloe plant, he could guess why.

102_5299

Disclosure #4
Our Christmas didn’t exactly go according to plan this year.  
Christmas Eve involved a trip to an urgent care facility, a 103 fever, a diagnosis of pink eye in both eyes and Shawn and I eating potato soup from Red Lobster on the couch in our pajamas. 
We had big plans to go to our church’s Christmas Eve service and Hannah woke up from her nap with red, puffy, crusty eyes.  We knew we had to take her in, or else we’d have to wait until Sunday.  Then we sat in the car and googled every pharmacy in a 20 mile radius to find one that was open on Christmas Eve. 
However, Christmas morning was our best yet!  Hannah was so excited to see what was under the tree for her.  I loved the look on her face as she opened her gifts.  As she opened each gift, she said, “Ohmygoodness! It’s Strawberry Shortcake!  Ohmygoodness! It’s a puzzle!”

christmaseve1

She didn’t let the pink eye, fever or trauma of her parents holding her down to put drops in her eyes stop her from having a good time.  She is such a trooper!  Even when it is obvious that she is not feeling well, like in the picture below. 

christmas2
After the gift opening, we discovered a leaking faucet and flooded cabinet under our kitchen sink.  Fortunately my husband has some Bob Villa tendencies and had it fixed, cleaned up and working properly pretty quickly.

sink

By this time, I had developed some achiness, a sore throat and a fever of my own so we decided it was best to just skip the day’s festivities and stay home. 
My amazing, all-around wonderful family wouldn’t hear of it.  They brought Christmas to us!  My mom, grandma and aunt completely changed all their plans, hijacked my kitchen and pulled off an impromptu Christmas dinner at my house.  It was nothing short of a Christmas miracle.  They hauled in groceries and fixins’ and got straight down to business. Unfortunately, I have no pictures of this because I was parked on the couch, being a less-than-mediocre hostess.

Christmas is over and we look forward to 2011. 
Right now, my body is achy and feverish and my throat hurts.  My daughter is coughing and “bless you-ing” (that means sneezing) and my house is in disarray.  But it’s okay.  I got to celebrate with my two favorite people and spend a quiet little Christmas in my own home. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh Tina, I'm so sorry you were feeling so poorly all through Christmas. I'm glad your sweet baby still enjoyed herself and that you have such an amazing family. I hope this all passes soon!

    ReplyDelete