Friday, October 8, 2010

A New York Minute

My husband travels a lot for work.  A lot. 
While I miss him terribly when he is gone, over the years, I have come to love two things about his traveling.
1. Less cooking when he is gone.
2. Tagging along with him on trips!

Last week Shawn sent me a text that he had to go to New York City for a few days and thought it would be fun for us to all go together.  So, at the absolute last minute, Hannah and I booked a flight, packed our bags and headed to the airport with him.

In the last 10 years, Shawn and I have visited New York City over a dozen times.  We love that city and have lots of memories there.  This trip was the best yet, however, because it was Hannah’s first time.  I was so excited to introduce her to
The Big Apple!

Hannah’s first cab ride was obviously very exciting because she fell asleep within minutes.  We flew during her normal nap time, but she stayed awake the entire flight.

nyc1

nyc2

I let Hannah jump on the bed (supervised, of course!) at hotels.  We don’t allow her to do this at home, so it is a special treat!  I love how much it wears her out!

nyc3    nyc4

On our first evening in the city, we ate some of our favorite NYC pizza.  Yum!

nyc5

Then we headed to Times Square to see the lights.  Times Square is not my favorite area of NYC, and I told Shawn that I was kind of glad to get it out of the way early on.

nyc6

After walking around Times Square, we went to Toys R Us and rode the Ferris Wheel. 

nyc7

Each time we went on the subway,  Shawn carried Hannah in her stroller down into the station.  Every single time she giggled and said, “Daddy, you’re carrying me like a princess!”

nyc8

100_5113100_5155 

We spent an afternoon in Central Park.

nyc10

And learned about dinosaurs at the American Museum of Natural History.  One of the funniest things that Hannah said  was, “Mommy, does God love the dinosaurs?”

nyc14

We went to the Empire State Building.

nyc9

And rode the elevator all the way to the top.  It was chilly and very windy!

nyc13 
One of the highlights of our weekend was meeting up with my good friend and her sweet little girl for a visit to the Central Park Zoo and a late lunch.  We joked about how before we had children we were able to talk and visit over lunches!

nyc11

Hannah and I returned home on Monday night, but Shawn had to stay for a few additional days for work.  When we got to the airport, our flight had been delayed by almost three hours.  Fortunately, Shawn had ridden in the cab with us was able to stay and keep us company for a while.  By the time our flight finally boarded, it was 10PM, which is well past bedtime.  Hannah was such a trooper and didn’t complain once.  She was tired, but fortunately she was in a calm tired, (rather than crazy tired) state, so she played quietly and rested while we waited and then dozed on the plane.

Our spontaneous weekend away was a complete success!  I am happy to report that this sweet girl loves NYC
as much as her parents do!

nyc12

4 comments:

  1. Awe, what awesome pictures! Hannah is such a great traveler to be able to do all that and not feel out of sorts. I love her smile on the ferris wheel. I took pictures of it when we were there- it is very cool. Where did y'all get pizza from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHat a great opportunity! It looks like it was the perfect short family getaway! Awesome shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great that you can just get Hannah going on trips that easily. Amazing story and I loved the pictures. It's funny, I wanted to know where you got pizza from, too :) I love the black and white photo of the Empire State Building. I've never been to NYC, Joe has, but not me. I'm so jealous of your dozen trips there!!! Thanks for the update, it was great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading about your trip! What a great story and pictures! I am so happy you all had a nice time.

    ReplyDelete