Monday, March 15, 2010

Repurposed: Skirt to Apron

Funny story about this skirt with blue hibiscus flowers:


I bought it to wear on my honeymoon in 2000. 
In 2006 my BFFs and I hosted a Hawaiian themed bridal shower.
Perfect. 
Don't I have a skirt with blue hibiscus flowers?
I couldn't find it anywhere so I figure that I gave it away or loaned it out and never got it back. 
Fast forward to 2007 when we packed up to move to our new house.
There's the skirt with the blue hibiscus flowers!
Needless to say, I haven't worn the skirt with blue hibiscus flowers since my honeymoon. 
Don't ask why I still have it. 

So, let's repurpose it, shall we?

First, I removed the draw string and set it aside to use a tie later on.


I cut the back piece off of the skirt, about 1 inch from the side seams.

Since I don't have a serger (hint, hint Shawn) I ran a zig-zag stitch along the sides to prevent fraying.  I then got my iron hot and steamy and pressed and sewed a hem along the sides, about 1/4 inch.


Next, I cut a 12x13 rectangle from the remaining piece.  I zig-zagged around this piece, pressed and sewed a 1/4 inch hem around each side.

I did some fast math, found the center of each of my pieces and pinned them right sides together.  I ran a quick stitch to attach. 


Then I pressed the seam up towards the top piece.

 I cut the drawstring in two and stitched off the ends.  I attached each piece to the waist of the apron with a quick forward and backstitch.

Then I snipped off the tag, so as to not be reminded of my newly married, early 20's, pre-baby size.


Next up was the neck tie.  Using the remaining fabric, I cut two pieces of fabric 2x22 and folded each in half (right sides together) and sewed together.  Next, I turned each inside out.  This works really well for turning fabric tubes right side out.  I then sewed each tie onto the top piece.

I had a bit of fabric left over and the seam that connects the two pieces looked a little wonky and still had two holes where the draw string was originally.  So I made a cute little ruffle by cutting the remaining fabic into strips.  I stitched around the edges to prevent fraying and then sewed a basting stitch down the center.


Finally, I gathered the thread, creating a ruffle and sewed it on.


Like it.
Admire the cuteness. 
Then make your sister wear it for a photo since she looks adorable in anything.

9 comments:

  1. That is too cute! And your sister IS adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh Tina, that story about your hubby is hilarious! That is totally a TST waiting to be written!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the apron!! thanks guys!!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I LOVE it!!!! This gives me some great inspiration for skirts I find at thrift stores that I love the pattern, but the skirt doesn't fit my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Now you've got me wanting to plow through boxes in the attic to find old skirts to repurpose into aprons. I'm a big apron-a-holic and love to make them. Your idea is very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Come link your cute tute at my party: Thursday's Treasures!!
    http://treasuresfortots.blogspot.com/2010/03/thursdays-treasures-week-14.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a teriffic upcycle! I love the apron! I have some old skirts too that I will consider doing that to! So cute! Thanks for the great idea! I am a follower now of yours, cause I love to sew too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! I'm just learning to sew, I may just have to make this!
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very cute!!! What sisters do for one another...LOL

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thursday at Life as Lori. Please join me next week for another great party!

    I love your blog!

    I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete