Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Cell Phone Pics and What We’ve Been Up To Lately

Oh, hey there.  I guess I’ve been neglecting the ole blog here, so I’ll do a quick catch up on what we’ve been doing lately.

This girl loves to swim. 
Since she loved the swimming lessons at school last year (which, by the way, I think it’s a brilliant idea that her school gives all kids lessons during the normal school week) I signed her up for a class at a local pool.  She went everyday for two weeks and a couple of the days, Finley and I joined her in the pool after her class was over. 

IMG_3073IMG_3074IMG_3072

This was one of our last days of summer before school started. 
It’s been just over two years now that I’ve been a full time stay at home mom and I LOVE it. 
I wouldn’t trade these days with my littles for anything.

IMG_3070

So.  We recently introduced solids to Finley.
I’d forgotten how messy it is.

IMG_3041
He seemed really interested in the steamed carrot sticks before I mashed them up and I’ve been reading a little bit about baby-led-weaning so I let him give it a go.  I think he liked it.  He was all let’s skip those purees and just get to the good stuff, shall we?

IMG_3046

On Sunday we were at a pumpkin festival and he kept eyeballing Shawn’s Letzebeurger Grillwurscht (that’s a Luxembourgish sausage sandwich) and every so often would lean in for a bite of his own.
(We didn’t really let him.)
Why do I feel like this boy is going to be eating us out of house and home as a teenager?

IMG_3050

Now before anyone goes getting their knickers all in a twist, I didn’t really pull a Britney Spears.
It just looks like I did.
The truth is that we were on our way home, running a bit late, and it was time for Finley to eat.  So I pulled over into a parking lot (did you know that parking lots are called car parks here?) and I fed him right there in the driver seat. 

IMG_3019

Every once in a while we see an antique English taxi cab and Hannah thinks it’s the funniest thing ever that the steering wheel is on the opposite side. 

IMG_3076

Laundry day assistant.

IMG_3077

I’ve been juicing for about a year and a half now…well, minus the first trimester with Finn because NAUSEA and the last days of the third trimester because EXHAUSTION. Since school’s started I’ve got a little routine: I prep/chop all the fruits and veggies and set up the juicer before I go to bed.  In the morning, I make the juice and leave the mess to clean up after I take Hannah to school.  Shawn drinks his juice in the car on the way to work, Hannah has hers in the car on the way to school and I usually finish mine while I’m feeding Finley.  I’ve been getting adventurous lately – adding beetroot, watercress and parsley.  I love knowing that my family has had their entire day of fruit and veggie servings before they leave the house.  And also?  Shawn despises tomatoes.  He has no idea that he’s been drinking the juice of two to three tomatoes each day, masked by the flavors of the other veggies.  I suppose once he reads this THE JIG WILL BE UP, SISTER. 

IMG_3086

This was our latest read aloud chapter book and Hannah loved it.  We started it while on the RV trip, got distracted by a few other books and then finished it up right before school started. 

IMG_2829 

We’re now at the end of the third week of school and so far Year 1 (US equivalent of Kindergarten) has been great.  Hannah loves her school, her teacher and her class.  I have to correct a mistake I made on her first day of school post: her teacher is Scottish and not Irish as I had reported. 
I’ve guess my accent detection isn’t as keen as I thought.
Either way, she’s showing herself to be a fantastic teacher and we couldn’t be happier.

Oh, and Hannah’s already been to two birthday parties and has three more in her diary (that’s what they call calendars over here).
She also joined her school’s French Club. 
It’s a shame she isn’t more social.

And now I’m off to watch Downton Abbey because season 4 is on and it airs here before it does in the US.  Except you have to be in the UK to watch it, so Shawn put a gadget (or is it an app? I don’t know.) to trick my laptop into thinking it’s in the UK. 
We can also make it think it’s in the US.

How cheeky.

4 comments:

  1. Love it!!!! That pic of you with the kiddos is great! Now. You have to tell me that British computer trick because I NEED to watch Downton Abbey. Also, I messaged you in FB, go check it out. 😄 Xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm interested in juicing. What kind of juicer do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some amazing cell phone pictures! I'm so glad you're enjoying your stay at home mom status. I absolutely loved it for the 9 years I got to spend at home with my kids and I would do it all over again if needed. Money was tight, but the time I spent with my kids was priceless. (Check out that cliche' will ya?!)

    Glad Hannah is enjoying Kinder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grrrrr!! Can Shawn make MY computer think it's British?!??! I want to watch Downton!!!! >:(

    ReplyDelete