Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My Grandma

I have so many things swirling around in my head, so many thoughts and things I want to get documented on the blog, like Pregnancy and Infant Loss Remembrance Day, Finley’s 7 month update, Halloween costumes that I made for the kids, trick or treating with the American Women’s Club of Luxembourg…

But all of that will have to wait for a little bit until I get my bearings.

My grandma passed away on Wednesday morning.

She turned 87 just three days before, so it’s not like it should be a total surprise, but to be honest, it sort of came as a surprise.
I could write a million things about just how great she was – she gave and gave and gave some more.
She loved the Lord and she and my grandpa had a special place in their hearts for missionaries and supported many of them over the years.

She adored her family, especially her great-grandchildren.
To Hannah, she was “Gigi,” and they loved each other so much.

IMG_3142

Last spring, we traveled home for Shawn’s grandpa’s funeral and I had debated staying here in Luxembourg with Hannah and 9 week old Finley.
But I made the decision to go and my grandma got to meet him for the first time.

IMG_2373

And I know deep down in the bottom of my soul that that trip home and time spent with her was a gift.  A gift.  Of course I didn’t know it then, but that would be the last time I would see or hug her.

We called her last Sunday night to wish her a happy birthday and Hannah told her about her lost tooth, the birthday parties she’s been to and lots of other kindergarten goings on. 
We talked about Finley, the US Government shut down and all sorts of other news items.
She always knew what was going on in politics and current events. 
(And she had some pretty hilarious opinions and commentary on certain politicians.)

My grandma taught me how to sew and did alterations on dozens of dresses for me, my sister and our friends for high school dances, college formals and each time we were bridesmaids.
She took care of my grandpa all the years he was ill, right up until he died 5 years ago.
But most importantly, my grandma loved the Lord with all her heart. 

So, I’ll be traveling home yet again this week.
This time Shawn can’t go with me because of work obligations, so I’m taking both kiddos by myself.

That’s an almost-six-year-old, a seven month old, one eight hour flight, another one hour flight and a six hour time zone change. 
I’m nearly having an anxiety attack just thinking about it.
We have a layover in Philadelphia and I’ve got good friends there on standby, ready to rescue us should any delays or cancellations occur. 
(If you’ve read my blog for a while, you know that nearly every single time we fly home, we have a delay, cancellation, lost luggage or some such shenanigans with the airlines.)

But I wouldn’t miss saying goodbye to my grandma for the world. 
She was truly the sweetest.

"Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints"
Psalm 116:15

2 comments:

  1. So sorry for your loss. My grandmother will be 90 next month. I made a biography photo book for her last week and it really made me think about what an amazing life she has lived. Having that legacy is so important. Praying for safe travels for you and the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a few months late but I still want to offer my condolences to your family. Losing a loved one is never easy, but we can take solace in the fact that they're now at peace. While it's sad that you weren't able to share those final moments together, I'm glad you had the chance to say your goodbye. -Roland @ Comfort Keepers

    ReplyDelete