Friday, February 15, 2013

The Weekly Bump: 35 (& A Tiny Ballerina)

Well, we’re reaching the homestretch. 
Wednesday I hit the 35 week mark, which means that bebe will be here in 5 weeks or less.
In some ways it seems far off – because I’m starting to get uncomfortable, but in other ways it seems so close because there’s a lot to be done before then.

I had a dr. appointment last week and everything was great.  My dr. has moved to a new office and it’s so beautiful that I felt like I was in a modern art museum.  One of the things that is done differently here in Europe than in the US, is that during the third trimester, at each visit the baby’s heart rate and movements are recorded for about 30 minutes.  So, I get to lay down in a dark, quiet room for a half hour while the nurse monitors all of this. 

I was confused at first.

”Is this a stress test?”
 
“Oh no, we are just more control freaks here than doctors in America,” she laughed.

Anyway, she returned in 30 minutes and said that our baby looks great.
Then the doctor came in and did an ultrasound and everything there looked good as well.

I told her that I feel like this baby already weighs 11 pounds and she assured me that the baby is not a large baby, but completely in the normal range.  She gave an estimation (in kilos and grams, of course) but I couldn’t do the conversion in my head so I have no idea how much she thought that he/she weighs.

Here we are at 35 weeks and 1 day.  I’m still feeling pretty good, but the third trimester tiredness has set in and I’m not sleeping great at night because it’s difficult to get (and stay) comfortable. 

35weeks

Tiny ballerina, big mama

Hannah has recently started taking a ballet class and she loves it.
It’s a class for 5 year olds right in our little town and it’s taught in English by a lovely British woman.

I just love her “ballet hair.”

IMG_1801
This week is the half term break, or “hoff term” break if you’re British, so all of the kids are off school.  Last year, we took a road trip to Lyon, France; went skiing in the French Alps; and ended up in Geneva, Switzerland.

ballet1

This year we stayed home because I’m way too pregnant to ski and we just returned from the US, so ballet class was the big highlight of our week.
(Did I mention that our trip back to Luxembourg was Hannah’s NINTH transatlantic flight?)
Anyway, we didn’t realize that class is cancelled during school holidays.
Oops.

ballet2

So we got all ready and showed up to an empty classroom with no teacher.
Oops.
But it was a good time to snap some photos and for Hannah to show me what she’s learning.

(And thank you to my mom for the leotard, skirt, tights and slippers!)

2 comments:

  1. You ladies look beautiful!!! Have a great weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I am so behind in commenting! I have read everything. EVERYTHING. So sorry! Hannah makes a beautiful ballerina and her mama makes a beautiful pregnant woman. Wow-9 transatlantic flights! She is an amazing little girl.

    ReplyDelete