Monday, May 14, 2012

A Mother’s Day Like None Other

DSC_0381

Four and a half years ago, this little girl made me a mama.
I love being her mom.  I really, really love it.

It’s the best job ever.
But being a mom is hard work.
And so, to my mom and Shawn’s mom:
Thank you for everything you’ve done and do for us.
We love and miss you!

Since Paris is just a short train ride from Luxembourg, that’s where we spent Mother’s Day weekend.  And guess what?  I didn’t use my camera once.  It was nice to have one less thing to lug around and I didn’t feel like I had to take pictures of every single thing.
 
So, without further ado, here’s our weekend in Paris through the eye of my cell phone.

On the high speed train with hubs and Miss Wiggle Worm. 
I think this was the only time she sat still during the entire ride.
She shimmied and wiggled all the way from Lux to Paris.

049
We stayed in a teeny-tiny hotel room that was smaller than my college dorm room. 
It turned out to be a fine little place, but I was a little concerned when I read on the hotel’s website that one of the amenities in each room was A TOILET.   
And it was beautiful night, perfect for opening the windows and feeling the Parisian breeze. 

137 
The magnificent Notre Dame.
Did you know that this historical site draws more visitors per year than the Eiffel Tower?

142

And the West Rose Window.  Stunning.

143

144

My two loves in Paris.

138
Directly behind me, on the other side of this bridge is a chain link fence with hundreds of padlocks attached.  It is custom for couples in love to buy a padlock, engrave their initials on it, place the padlock onto the fence, kiss the key and throw it into the river, sealing their love forever. 

129

147

Watching boats go by on the Seine.

145

148

Montmartre:
Home of the Basilique du Sacré-Cœur, the Moulin Rouge and known for other seedy activities.  It’s also the place where artists such as Dali, Renoir, Monet, Picasso and van Gogh lived and worked.  If you pay attention, you can find little pieces of art history all over, in the most inconspicuous of places.  Like this one, a tiny mosaic on the side of a random building.

187

Oh, you know.  Just eating a banana.  On the steps of the Paris Opera House.

146

189

Shawn and I have this little game we play where we do or say something and then ask the other, “Does this make me look/sound European?”

Shawn: Do I look French with my sweater like this?
Me: Uh, your relaxed fit jeans and Adidas kind of give you away.
Shawn: Is that picture going on the blog?
Me: You betcha.

149

A typical Parisian breakfast: croissants and orange juice.

150

You guys go on ahead and check out the Arc de Triumph.
I’mma-jus’ stay here and take a little nap.

188

Shawn wearing my scarf for another round of “Does This Make Me Look European?”
If he had only lost the backpack, he may have been on to something.
Shawn: That one’s definitely going on the blog, isn’t it?
Me: Pretty much.
Shawn: Will you tell everyone that I didn’t really wear your scarf?
(He didn’t really wear my scarf.)

052

My sweet little family, a sunny day, and one of my favorite cities…

186

Best Mother’s Day ever.

190

2 comments:

  1. You, my dear, look very European!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a fabulous Mother's Day! I was in HS when I went to Paris and did not fully appreciate the fact that I was there. :(

    Cracking up about the relaxed fit jeans and Adidas shoes. Definitely a clear-cut giveaway. Hahaha

    ReplyDelete