Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Stuff It! Easy, Healthy Zucchini

A friend of mine gave me this zucchini from her garden.

107_4936

It’s huge.  It’s monstrous.  I’ve got big plans for it. 

107_4937 

The beauty of this recipe is that you can be creative and flexible with your ingredients.  You really can’t mess it up.  You can even sneak in a few extra veggies…
This morning I told Shawn that tonight’s dinner included zucchini and he said, “Oh! Are you gonna fry it?”  Not exactly, honey.

What I used:
1 zucchini
1 lb. ground turkey
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Approx. 1 tbsp each of basil and oregano
Approx. 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 can of diced tomatoes (I prefer fresh, but this was all I had)
Approx. 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Combine turkey, onion, garlic, basil and oregano and cook over medium heat until meat is almost browned.

I cut the humungous zucchini in half and set one piece aside.  I cut the other piece in half long ways and scooped the center out with an ice cream scoop.  A melon baller works great for this also.

107_4938

Next I cut out more of the “meat” of the zucchini and chopped it into small bite sized pieces.

When turkey is almost browned, transfer it to a bowl and add the remaining pieces of zucchini, bread crumbs, parm cheese and tomatoes.  Mix well.  I added some more bread crumbs to make it a bit thicker. 

107_4940

Place your zucchini into a baking dish and fill it with the mixture.

107_4941

The most important part of this recipe is to put about 1 inch of water into the bottom of the dish.  This will allow the zucchini to steam and get soft, but not mushy.  Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. 

Sprinkle with parm cheese, serve and enjoy!

107_4948

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that looks so good! And I bet that zucchini was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, did you think of that by yourself? I'm so impressed! And---it looks DELICIOUS. Was it tasty? I can almost smell it now....ahh....

    Thanks for linking up to my Friday party, Tina! Always nice to see a friendly face. ;) Have a great weekend and we'll see you next week! (hint, hint)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love zucchini. Looks like a great recipe -- thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete