Sunday, September 20, 2015

38 and 15

Last week Shawn and I celebrated our anniversary and my birthday.  We were married in the year 2000 and I turned 23 just a few days later.  If you do the math, we've been married 15 years.

And I'm 38.
Which, if I'm being honest, is kind of hard for me to accept.  Not because of vanity or because I don't want to get older, but because sometimes I have this I don't even know what to call it - a lapse in self awareness, if you will, that I am in fact an adult.  

I awoke to the sounds of Shawn and the kids playing downstairs, giggling and whispering to allow me to sleep late.  When I made my way down the steps, this (along with some other surprises!) was waiting for me:


We brunched at a cute little cafe in the city; delicious coffee, American-style pancakes, bacon and cupcakes.  There was some confusion with the reservation that Shawn had booked, which, I'd be willing to bet is due to language barrier.  When the owner of this don't-even-try-to-get-in-the-door-on-a-Saturday-without-a-reservation-cafe found out it was my birthday, she set up another table and brought me a free coffee and cupcake for the mishap.





Chocolate chip pancakes, American style

Well wishes and sweet words rolled in via text and Facebook, as family and friends began to wake in America.  We spent the rest of the day relaxing at home, I went to the gym for a workout and when I came back, I found all three of my people napping - Finn in his bed, and Shawn and Hannah each on a couch.  I joined them and when we woke, we played outside for a bit and then Hannah and I went into the city and got carry-out from one of our new favorites, a Latino/Spanish/Cuban cafe.  

So, my day pretty much went like this:
American food, gym, nap, Cuban food.

I can't think of a better way to spend my birthday, really.


A few weeks ago, one of my dearest friends had a very real cancer scare.  She's fine and healthy, we know now, but the time between discovery and laboratory results was worrisome.  

When the house was quiet, I spent some time thinking about how grateful I am on the first day of my 38th year.

Grateful for my friend's health, my health, for another year of life and another year of marriage to this fantastic guy.




And apparently, when you've been married 15 years, you show up to celebrate wearing matching shoes.



Who knew?

1 comment: