Saturday, April 28, 2012

More Florida and What Happened on the Way Back to Lux

I hadn’t really planned on taking a break from the blog, but between the jet lag and getting settled back in to Luxembourg, we’ve been busy.  
 
As I had mentioned, we were home in the US for two weeks and Shawn’s parents’ annual trip to Florida overlapped our visit, so we kind of invited ourselves to join them for a few days.  (But I think they enjoyed having us along.)
So our travels went like this: Luxembourg to Ohio to Florida to Ohio to Luxembourg.

Before we left for the sunshine state, I had a gift card for a pedicure that I needed to use. Hannah caught wind of what I was doing and wanted to come with me.
Isn’t it funny how when you’re a mom and you get a gift card, you usually spend it on your kiddos?

050

I usually take forever to pick a color of polish.
And then I change my mind a few times and bring six bottles to the chair with me and ask the technician’s opinion and text my sister before I finally decide.
Hannah pointed to a deep purple with confidence and didn’t look back.
Girlfriend knows what she likes.

035

Normally, I wouldn’t go for the flower accent, but the sweet gal painting Hannah’s toes put them on her and Hannah really wanted me to get one, too.

057

While we were sitting in our chairs, another customer asked me where we were from.
I told her that I actually grew up in this very town. 
”Oh,” she said, “because your daughter sounds kind of, um, British.”
Yes.  I know she does.  But I can explain.

BTW, British girl loved the pedi.  Loved it.

So, anyway, besides Disney and the beach, we did some other fun stuff in Florida.
Shawn and his dad went fishing out on the lake.
They caught five of these and brought them back to show us before releasing them.

DSC_0372a

Shawn’s mom, Hannah and I hung out at Downtown Disney for the afternoon.

DSC_0356a

Look who we saw, made out of a million Legos.

DSC_0365a

We also went to a theatrical horse show where they serve dinner.
You know what I’m talking about?
One of those places where you eat your dinner in a dark barn-like arena with strobe lights and subwoofers and horses jumping through fire hoops?
The overpriced tickets and mediocre food were worth it because of how much Hannah enjoyed it.

And then for the finale, a Texas cowgirl rode out into the arena while they played “Proud To Be an American.”  And, well, I may have gotten a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.
Living abroad has given me a whole new love for my country.
I heart America.  I really do.

After five days in Florida, we headed back to Ohio for a few days before returning to Luxembourg.  Because of Shawn’s work schedule, he had to leave before us, so Hannah and I traveled to Lux by ourselves.  This is the third time we’ve traveled to ‘n fro Europe without him, so it’s not new.

When we landed in Luxembourg, I had been awake for 23 hours.
I was then responsible for getting 90 pounds of luggage and 34 pounds of child out of the airport.
This was after we’d already been through Customs, security (at two separate airports) and had an unplanned four hour layover in Amsterdam where we had played with, read and done just about every single thing I could think of to keep us busy.  By this time, Hannah had taken to either draping her body across mine like a wet noodle or running circles around the gate area. 

I placed our suitcases onto a cart and we proceeded up the incline.  It’s kind of like an escalator, but without stairs.  Now, normally when you roll your cart onto the incline, the magnets in the wheels are activated and your cart locks into place and you coast right on up to the airport exit.

Well.

The magnets in the wheels of my cart did not activate and the cart began rolling backwards towards me.  I held on as long as I could before it just got too heavy and the entire thing shifted ever so gently to the right and toppled over, dumping all of our suitcases and spilling the contents of my purse.  It was like the world was moving in slow motion.
And the incline just kept on going, our stuff moving further from my reach with each passing second.

Really, the only thing I could do was laugh because it was kind of funny.
And embarrassing.  Oh, so embarrassing. 
(You know you would have laughed if you’d have been there.)

I managed to pick up the really important stuff – our passports, my wallet and cell phone and got Hannah off safely.  Luckily, two strangers helped me gather everything up and I regrouped at the top of the incline. 

And then we got into a taxi with the world’s crankiest driver.  Like, ever.

When we got to our house, 18 hours after leaving my parents’ house in Ohio, THIS MAMA WAS TIRED. 

The last 23 sleepless hours were catching up with me.
Along with the goodbyes, traveling 4,000 miles, the layovers, the on and off of coats and shoes and gathering everything back up at security, the line at Customs, the six hour time change, toppled luggage and the meanie taxi driver.

Have you ever been so tired that you actually felt nauseous?
Because that’s how I felt.  
My patience was running thin and I was getting snappy.
Quite frankly, I had had just about enough of myself.

A time out was in order.
And by time out, I mean that Hannah and I both crawled into my bed and slept for four hours.

And when we woke up?
Hannah popped out of bed, asked me how to say “bracelet” in French and set up her Lego’s as if we’d just been lounging around the house all day.

Kids are so darn resilient.
And forgiving. 
Praise the Lord for that.

So here we are.
We’ve been back in Luxembourg for a week and a half.
Shawn and Hannah were over the jet lag by about the fourth day.
It took me seven days to get with it.
The homesickness wasn’t nearly as bad as it was when we returned after Christmas.
Hannah has settled back into school and Shawn back at work. 

We’ve got some exciting things that we’re all three looking forward to in the next few weeks…

We had planned on doing some things around the house today, but it was 77 degrees and sunny. 
(That’s 25 degrees for all my Celsius-speaking friends. Yea, I had to look it up because I still don’t have the Fahrenheit/Celsius thing down.) 
Anyway, we ditched the chores and headed out to the city center of Luxembourg to hang with the locals.
And the tourists.

What are you up to this weekend?

1 comment:

  1. Wow y'all did a lot of traveling in a very short time! It's no wonder you're exhausted. Yes, jet lag is a killer, but everything you did would have exhausted me without the airplane ride.

    The luggage escapade...ugh. That would have done me in had I been you. I don't deal well with fatigue and things that don't work as they should.

    ReplyDelete