Thursday, September 2, 2010

Tutorial: Custom Photo Bookmark

These days, most of the books I read include lots of pictures and have characters named Larry the Cucumber, Fancy Nancy and Little Nutbrown Hare.

Every now and then I get to sneak in a good read of my choice.  And here’s how I keep my page.

Bookmark1

What I used:
2 pieces of fabric 3”x9”
1 piece of thin batting 3”x9” (I wanted to use fusible interfacing, but I didn’t have any on hand, so used batting)
1 piece clear plastic vinyl approx. 2.5”x2.5”
1 piece cardboard square approx 2”x2” to use as template
1 photo approx 2”x2”


107_4965

Lightly trace the cardboard square onto one piece of fabric.  Carefully cut it out to create a window for your photo.

107_4966

Tape plastic vinyl to wrong side of fabric and then sew a zigzag stitch around the frame.

107_4967

107_4968

Tape photo to the backside.

bookmark2

Stack your pieces in this order:
batting, non-frame piece of fabric (right side up), frame piece of fabric (photo down)

107_4972

Sew around three edges, leaving the top open.  Trim off excess, paying special attention to those pesky corners.

107_4973 Carefully turn the entire piece right side out.  I often use chop sticks to get a nice point in the corners.

Fold the top edges in and pin into place.107_4975
Stitch the top closed and continue to top stitch
all the way around. 

107_4976 

107_4977

Place your bookmark into your current good read. 
Done and done!

14 comments:

  1. well, i won't pretend I have the talent to make that, but I do admire yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara's comment just made me laugh. It is an adorable way to keep your place in your book. I must say, the model you used in the picture is just precious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea. This would make a great gift for grandparents (they always enjoy getting photos, don't they?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful and I agree with Texttussi, great grandparents gift! I would love it if you linked this up @ my place today.
    http://untilwednesdaycalls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. This would be great to go along with a book store gift card (which we give often)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are darling!! What a great gift idea:)
    Visiting from justsewsassy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to have you join me tomorrow over at our Sassy Sites blog party! It's our Feature YOU Friday! Come by and check it out! xoxo

    Marni
    @ Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Thanks for linking this project up to Sister Sister Sunday! Come party with us again this Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea have to re link you for monday crafts!
    Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am super duper impressed!! What a fun idea and a great gift idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ~Alison
    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tina,

    What an absolutely lovely idea! Every grandparent would be thrilled to have one of these. Thank you so much for the tutorial as well. Happy Birthday and Anniversary, by the way!

    ReplyDelete