Thursday, May 20, 2010

Tutorial: Anthropologie Inspired Necklace

I’ve been noticing all kinds of fabric flower beaded necklaces lately and I just love them!  So, using these as my inspiration:
anntaylor  express

I made this:
107_4513

I found the beaded necklace at an antique shop for a couple of dollars.  I started out by cutting peanut shapes out of tulle.  I did not make a pattern, I just started cutting.  I didn’t care if they were messy or uneven.  It just adds to the charm. 
107_4505I cut out about 15 shapes and stacked them like so:
107_4506Then I sewed them all together in the center.  It’s difficult to see, but there is a stitch in the center.107_4507 Next, I selected some scraps of white fabric that I had left over from another project that (I am totally excited about!) and will be sharing soon.  I did the same steps to make the flower petals.  I didn’t do anything to prevent fraying, hoping that the more I wear this necklace, the more shabby chic it will become.
107_4508 107_4509 I stacked the fabric pieces on top of the tulle and folded the entire piece in half.  I stitched them together, then folded in half the opposite way and stitched again to give it more of a flower shaped form.
107_4510
107_4512I added a few tiny beads to the center for some extra sparkle and attached the flower to the necklace.107_4511
107_4514
107_4523

9 comments:

  1. Very, very, very cute! I never try and re-make something like that! I know I'll fail completely! I love what you did. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Nice job & great tutorial! Thanks for linking up!!
    ~Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah- that's a lot of link-ups! Love the necklace by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found you at Tater-tots. HOw did you attach the flower to the necklace?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous!

    I'm hosting a party right now and I'd love it if you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check out my blog for a fun award for you! Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the flower!! Thanks for linking at Lucky Star Lane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tutorial is an awesome inspiration! Many thanks for sharing. I would like to feature your designs at http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

    Kindly contact me here if you have a concern.

    Jane
    http://diylessons.org/
    http://www.handmade-jewelry-club.com/

    ReplyDelete