Monday, February 17, 2014

The Sickies, We Had ‘Em. And Also, My Sister Was Here

Remember two weeks ago when I mentioned that Finley got a case of the pink eye?
Well, we used the doctor prescribed drops for 7 days and it cleared right up, but it came back, this time with a cough and runny nose.

And then I started to not feel well so I went to the doctor and she said it was just a virus and that it would clear on its own.  It seemed to be dragging on longer than a cold normally does for me and when I went back with a sore throat and swollen glands she sent me for a mono test, which came back negative, by the way.

“You’re negative for mono, but the test showed that you’ve had it in the past. Did you know that you’ve had it?”

I didn’t.

Apparently a person can have mono but not even know it?  This seems suspicious to me, kind of like that show on TLC where those women endure 37 or so weeks of “symptoms,” spontaneously go into labor, and then claim that they had no idea they were pregnant until the moment they deliver an 8 pound baby.  But whatever, she’s the doctor and I trust her.

Now, with the pink eye and mono scare going on I haven’t had a lot of time to tune in to the Winter Olympics, which really is a shame because I always enjoy them.  Anyway, a couple of Facebook friends had posted statuses questioning and commenting about what in the world was going on with Bob Costas’s eyes, so I googled it and what I found was that he and Finn appeared to have similar infections, although Bob’s looked so much worse.  If I could’ve I would’ve sent a bottle of antibiotic drops directly to him in Sochi.

The real drama, however, started on Monday night when Hannah got a fever and coughed pretty much from the time she went to bed until she woke up on Tuesday.  I took her to the doctor and after listening to her chest said that she had bronchitis and gave us a prescription for an antibiotic.  By Thursday evening, she wasn’t getting any better and her fever was up and down, so Friday morning I took her back to the doctor.  She listened to her chest and said, “She has pneumonia and I want you to go to Emergency at the children’s hospital now.”
I asked her what the treatment would be and she said to be prepared for a 3-4 day hospital stay and IV antibiotics.  I told her that my husband was in the US and maybe I should stop at home and pack a bag, but she stopped me and said, “No.  You go to Emergency now.”
So I flew over to the children’s hospital, illegally parked my car half on the sidewalk, half in a roundabout and rushed Hannah in.  The doctor there listened to her chest, agreed that she had pneumonia and called the nurse in to do a blood test and insert the little thingy that stays in your arm for an IV.  After the blood test, we were walked over to Radiology for a chest x-ray.

We waited a few minutes and the doctor returned and said, “I have the results and it’s good news.  Her chest x-ray is clear and her blood test is normal.  There is no pneumonia or bacteria.  We’re dealing with bronchitis caused by a virus that is just stubborn.  I’ll send the nurse in to remove the IV and you can go home now.”

Well.  Alrighty.  That sure was a lot of excitement and worry for nothing.

Twenty-four hours later, the fever broke, the coughing subsided a bit and Hannah was up playing and her appetite was returning to normal.

While all of this was going on, Shawn was in the US for work.  But the good news?
My sister was here with us. 
We spent the majority of her time here at my house, resting and taking care of sick kids, but we did manage to get out into the city for some shopping, lunch and pictures.

 

CSC_0459aDSC_0449DSC_0450DSC_0452DSC_0451DSC_0455DSC_0454Thank you, Traci, for being here with us…taking care of kids…cleaning my house…and everything else you did for us.  I wish we all had been feeling 100% so that we could’ve done more, but I think Hannah summed it up perfectly when she missed a party at school that she’d been looking forward to, "Well, I do get to stay home with Traci all week and that is so much better than some party."

2 comments:

  1. Your sister is GORGEOUS! Sorry y'all had the sickies. How does medical care work there? It's it a government program or do you have private insurance like in the US? Just curious. You've probably talked about it before and I just forgot.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother of the year here... Mason was tested for mono in the fall when ALL of the Swim Team had it. Diagnosis from Epstein-Barr? Yeah... he had previously had it. And we never knew. Apparently, some people can have VERY minor cases of it. I found out I had it when I was a sophomore and only found out after a routine blood test. Crazy. :)

    Hope everyone is better!

    ReplyDelete