Friday, December 27, 2013

Home For the Holidays


We arrived in the US last Sunday night and while Shawn, Hannah and Finley are sound asleep right now, it’s 5:13 AM and I’m pretty much wide awake.  I’m not sure if it’s the jet lag or that my mind just won’t turn off with all the stuff I need and want to do while we’re home for the next week and a half. 

You see, the last three times I’ve been here it’s been for the funerals of close family members and I’m looking forward to seeing all my friends outside of a funeral home and eating Mexican food, wandering aimlessly around Target and you know, doing things and going to places THAT ARE NOT FUNERALS.

Our travels were uneventful and dare I say it? Enjoyable, even.
We flew from Luxembourg to Paris to Detroit to Akron Canton without one delay or hitch in our plan.

IMG_3430

Ready to board.  We’re comin’ to America!

Luxembourg has just a tiny regional airport so we usually drive to Brussels or Frankfurt so we can fly directly to the US, but this time it worked out better to fly to Paris and then to the US. 

The flight from Lux to Paris was 42 minutes from take off to landing. 
I have a strict clothing requirement for Finley when we fly: footie pajamas with zippers.  No onsies and pants and socks, and certainly nothing with all those silly snaps.  It just makes it so much easier for doing diaper changes on the plane.   And if he needs a clothing change, we only have to worry about one piece of clothing instead of three.

IMG_3429

The big flight over the Atlantic was smooth and easy.  Finley slept (and played) in the little bassinet that the flight attendant set up for him.  

IMG_3447

IMG_3446

Hannah watched movies, colored, and at one point I looked over and she had on the the slipper socks that they give you, pulled high up over her knees and was wearing the eye mask like a headband.  She likes to get cozy and take advantage of all the amenities.

We had a quick layover in Detroit (DEE-troit, as we like to call it) and then the shortest flight to Akron.  I’m not kidding – it was 26 minutes from the time we taxied onto the runway until we landed.  By now it was dark outside, so Hannah and I spent the entire time in the air at the window, hoping to catch a peek of Santa in his sleigh.

I’ll be back later this week with pictures of our Christmas.
It was Finley’s first…and a really, really good one.

3 comments:

  1. Hope you guys have a great visit in America! That picture of Finley in the bassinet is TOO CUTE! Jet setting baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always amazed at what good travelers your kids are. Glad you're home for fun reasons this time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your trip! Those bassinets are amazing when you travel with babies!

    ReplyDelete